*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021630
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1021630 added November 14, 2021 at 6:40pm
Restrictions: None
20211114
William Cecil read the letter with his customary care.

"So Proconsul Lucius is to visit us."

"It will feel awkward, so soon after Mary's death. When he left she was Queen and expecting his child, now I am Queen and poor Mary..."

"The Proconsul had been aware of this for several days before preparing to come here. I have heard that he was preparing to visit Mary, but that on hearing the sad news, he instead visited Pater Archinto in Rome."

Boudica did not ask where Cecil had heard this, his intelligence network was extensive and active. Instead she asked,

"What do you make of that?"

"If I were to make a guess, I would say he wanted to consult with the Holy Pater on some proposed course of action."

"What might that be?"

"His stated reason for coming is to share commiserations with you, which is reasonable enough. He has met you before, so it is unlikely to be entirely that he wants to get a feel for the new Queen, although that may play some part in his thinking. He wouldn't need Rome to comment on that."

Cecil paused and stroked his beard as he thought. Boudica waited, not wishing to interrupt his thoughts.

"Queen Mary had mentioned to me on several occasions that her husband was keen for her to acknowledge Mithras as the true God, and to become what he called 'a dutiful wife'."

"Did she say what that involved?"

"As you know Your Majesty, Mithraism as practised by Rome is very much a religion for Males. Women are not permitted to take any part in the rites. Generally they are expected to be obedient to their husbands and to serve them in whatever manner the husband demands. As they abhor what they call 'witchcraft', it was expected that she would cease to use her psychic abilities."

Boudica was appalled.

"How could she have married him, knowing that?"

"Love makes strange choices Your Majesty. I believe that Queen Mary loved her husband despite their differences."

"Did he love her?"

"It is impossible to know another man's heart Your Majesty, but I suspect he did not love her as deeply as she did him."

"But, what has this to do with him visiting now?"

"He may feel that he has invested time and effort in bringing Queen Mary to Mithraism, and through her as Queen, the islands of Albion."

"Yes?"

"It is a surmisal on my part, but perhaps he is unwilling to see that 'investment' wasted. He may therefore intend to suggest some continuance."

Boudica's nose wrinkled.

"You mean he might be coming to try and marry me?"

"Or to suggest that he arrange a suitable marriage for you."

"But, he's old enough to be my father."

"He was also older than Queen Mary, though the gap was not quite so wide."

Boudica looked positively alarmed.

"Cecil, you aren't seriously considering a marriage between us? He's my dead sister's widower, and he's old."

Cecil was amused by Boudica's alarm, but careful to cover it.

"Your Majesty, naturally I seriously consider it, because it is possible that Proconsul Lucius is seriously considering such an alliance. It would certainly explain his visiting Rome. Your sister, Queen Mary considered such a match seriously."

Boudica looked aghast.

"Well I won't marry him."

Cecil allowed himself a smile,

"Your Majesty, I did not imagine for one moment that you would wish to. But I still have to consider the prospect seriously."

Feeling and looking somewhat reassured, Boudica said that she understood.

"So what should I do?"

"No more than listen to whatever he has to say Your Majesty."

"Nothing more?"

"Unless you have a change of heart Your Majesty. If I may make an observation."

"Please do."

"It would be wise to assume that even if the Proconsul does not propose marriage, you can expect to have many suitors. It would be unfortunate if you saw each as a source of stress. Rest assured that no one will force you into any decision. There is no requirement for you to marry, nor to produce an heir.


Word Count 685.
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021630