*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021682-WDC-30-Day-Blogging-Nov-15-2021
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #2226993
Just my opinions and outlook on life
#1021682 added November 15, 2021 at 1:32pm
Restrictions: None
WDC 30 Day Blogging Nov. 15, 2021
Day 3295: November 15, 2021

Prompt: Write about a past Thanksgiving that you really enjoyed.



There are so many in my life. I believe one of the better ones had both funny and poignant moments. It was 1972 and I had been married for a little over a year. I was five months pregnant and so very happy. Although the pregnancy was unplanned, the pill didn’t do it’s job. We were living in an apartment, gradually buying furniture and planning our future. I had so much to be grateful for. My older brother and sister-in-law had come from their home in New Orleans with their 12 year old son and my 15 year old brother was there. As usual, we celebrated at Mom and Dad’s home. Mom put a lot of work and love into cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I think about it now and realize she was 52, had a double mastectomy 10 years before, and worked part time in retail sales. I am sure it was tiring for her but she didn’t complain.

The meal was a traditional yankee Thanksgiving with homemade herbal dressing that was stuffed in the turkey. We always had mashed potatoes and gravy, a cranberry salad, green peas, and usually mincemeat and pumpkin pies. Mom use her special occasion Lenox china, family silverware, candles, fresh flowers along with linens and cut glass stemware. We usually had cocktails before dinner. Everyone was expected to dress nicely.

My sister-in-law, Barbara, filmed everything or took photos. She is a sweetheart and very quiet but that year she was filming my Dad carving the turkey. Now my Dad was a great guy and very seldom raised his voice in anger but after a few minutes of hearing, “ Dad, look up and smile, please”. Well, he gritted his teeth and said, “The camera is banned from the table for the rest of the meal or I go”. I never heard him speak that way to Barbara before. He usually went along to keep the peace. My Mom started laughing, Barb got teary eyed and I wasn’t sure what to do. The camera disappeared for the rest of the day.

We always go around the table and say what we are thankful for. Of course I mentioned the baby who gave his first kick during that meal. At least that is what I wanted it to be. Now it could have been gas because I was stuffing myself, I was always hungry during that pregnancy.

We were all grateful Mom was over five years cancer free. It was a lovely dinner and now we can all laugh at my Dad getting upset. I have the photo and just miss him like crazy along my lovely Mom.






© Copyright 2021 Redtowrite (UN: kat47 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Redtowrite has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021682-WDC-30-Day-Blogging-Nov-15-2021