*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022167-Deciphering-Teenage-Code
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#1022167 added November 22, 2021 at 9:22pm
Restrictions: None
Deciphering Teenage Code
PROMPT November 22nd

You have found that you can do something no one else can do. What is this special talent you have? Would it be considered a 'Super Power'? If you could have chosen this special ability, what would it be?
         
         
Me attempting to initiate a conversation with a teenager: "So, how was school today?"
         The teenaged master of brevity : "Fine."
         Moi still game to converse: "Oh did anything happen?
          Teenager clearly unable to both draw breath and speak: "Maybe."
          Me trying a different tack:" Did you see your friends?"
         The reluctant teenager: "Sure."
         Moi furthering our torture: "Would you describe your day today as good, or bad?"
          The short answer pro: "Dunno."
         Moi determined to connect: "Do you have any exciting plans for the weekend?"
         Delivered with a nonchalant shrug: "Meh."
         Stubborn me praying to strike articulate gold: "Have you any meaningful insights re current events?"
         The teenager rallies for a brief shake of the head: "Nah."
         My pathetic use of sarcasm / shock therapy: "Your parents have decided to relocate to a monastery where they will pledge to follow a strict code of silence. Your presence will be mandatory. Questions of any kind will not be tolerated. Everyone must sacrifice their worldly goods. You leave tomorrow."
         The tuned-out oblivious teenager: "Cool."
         As most brave souls who have struggled to communicate with a teenager know it's best described as pulling teeth with a teaspoon while balancing on a heaving ship's deck. It is a feat of derring-do not for the faint of heart. Beating one's head against a brick wall would be less painful. Irritating repetition of past toddler patter and non-stop questions of 'why' resurface now as fond, blissful, cherished memories. What has happened? Bewilderment and frustration reign. Where did the garrulous child go?
         The special, one of a kind super power I choose for myself is the ability to translate teenage eye rolls, slouching, shrugs, pointed stares, and mono-syllables. No more guessing. No more one-sided charades. No more sullen silences. No more stomping. No more moans, groans, or sighs. No more dramatic threats and waterworks. ( I did mention frustration, right?) In short, I shall de-mystify the teenage persona.
         That dismissive 'sure', or 'fine' will not confound, or annoy me. With my newfound capability the entire, broad, infinite, profound world of the teenager will be exposed. My eyes will be opened. I will understand. I will appreciate that less is more when it applies to words. Words are precious and not to be flung willy-nilly.
         Knowledge is power. Cool.

© Copyright 2021 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022167-Deciphering-Teenage-Code