*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022189-Blogging-Circle-for-Nov-22
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #2226993
Just my opinions and outlook on life
#1022189 added November 23, 2021 at 11:37am
Restrictions: None
Blogging Circle for Nov 22
Day 3301: November 22, 2021

Prompt: “Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird,
That cannot fly.”
― Langston Hughes
Use this quote to inspire you blog entry.


I can’t think about this quote without thinking about the source, Langston Hughes. If anyone needed to hold fast to dreams it was this gentle poet activist who lived an uneasy life. He was gifted with a quick and inquisitive mind but as a black gay (closeted) man , he not only saw prejudice but encountered it often. I have read a lot about Langston Hughes and watched videos of him speaking as an activist for Civil Rights. He chose to stay mostly among literary people who believed like him. He was fortunate to have lived during a period of the “Harlem Renaissance”. He went to Columbia with Thurgood Marshall and also traveled around Europe, including China and the Soviet Union.


The quote is true but hard for many to accomplish. This applies to every person. Some people don’t have dreams, they settle and stay where they are in life. Some can’t accomplish their dreams for so many reasons that they have no control over. I like to think there is always another dream to accomplish and in that, the metaphoric bird can be patched up and repaired and life does go on.

All that said, it is a lovely poetic quote from a man who kept working on his dreams, in spite of the obstacles of the times he lived in. He certainly accomplished a lot of literary treasures for us to read and admire, his jazz poetry and other published works have gone down in the pages of history.

© Copyright 2021 Redtowrite (UN: kat47 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Redtowrite has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022189-Blogging-Circle-for-Nov-22