*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022264
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1022264 added November 24, 2021 at 6:25pm
Restrictions: None
20211124
Boudica's peaceful walk through the gardens was in fact not directly disturbed by any of her suitors. She sat for a while in the shade of a hazel and considered the Proconsul. He was very open about the facts that he thought might weigh against a match. What bothered her most was the declaration that a marriage to him would ensure the peace enjoyed when he was Mary's husband would continue.

This left unstated the alternative. Did it imply that failure to marry him might mean war? Relations with Rome had been civil if not friendly prior to his first marriage. Her understanding of the situation in Europe was that Rome was at loggerheads with Silesia over a religious schism. The two had been warring on and off for several decades now and troops were positioned along a shifting border. She did not think that as things stood Rome would want to open hostilities with Albion.

But if it did?

If it did, Boudica thought that Rome might come to regret that decision. Lucius had not made any threat, it would have been rather out of context in a marriage proposal. Instead he had spent time with her, much to the annoyance of Prince Bayezid, and for reasons she couldn't fathom, Pawl.

The Proconsul was urbane, witty and attentive. He was also rather handsome, or at least very distinguished, in his appearance. Boudica liked that he was never condescending to her. Despite the age gap, she was aware that he was in many ways an excellent marriage candidate. She didn't love him of course, but then she didn't love Bayezid either, or at least she was pretty sure that she didn't.

She had known Lucius before Mary's death, and knew that he had always treated his wife with the utmost care and kindness. If he had not loved Mary withy any great passion, there had been an abundance of affection and tenderness. Boudica knew for a fact that Mary had been happy with the match.

She tried to imagine what life would be like with Lucius as a husband. She imagined that she would visit his Court, as he would visit hers. The idea of travel to such an exotic location was exciting. Boudica knew she was skirting the subject of sex. She was rather nervous, no, make that terrified, of the idea of love making, despite Bridget's sometimes extremely graphic accounts of how good it was.

She wasn't sure entirely why she should be so reluctant. Maybe there was something wrong with her. In part, she feared that she might lose all her psychic abilities. She had once read that the energy involved in sex was the same energy that enabled psychic abilities. Her instinct told her that this was true, but she felt unable to discuss it with anyone. She would rather walk barefoot on hot coals than discuss sex with someone like Sir William, or Brian Peters. Nor could she imagine a cosy tête-à-tête with Morwenna or Eleanor, or even her own mother. It would be mortifying, and she knew her mother wanted grandchildren someday.

Bridget didn't have any psychic abilities whatsoever, and so could not really help. Her opinion was that even if Boudica could lose powers, the risk was more than worth it, and Boudica did not agree.
More personally, she disliked the idea of such intimacy with another. Then there was the matter of childbirth. Mary had died because she was pregnant. Something had gone wrong and it had killed her, and her unborn child. It frightened Boudica to think that she would get pregnant, and she might die the same way. She wasn't stupid, and knew that many more women gave birth and lived, than died trying. But that didn't mean that none did. Boudica felt trapped in her own thoughts on this.

Could she separate sex and marriage? Boudica was pretty sure the answer was no. Marriage would mean sex, and risk. William Cecil had told her that no one would require her to marry. So the solution was to thank Bayezid and Lucius for their interest, and say no thank you. Then they would stop hanging around her, and she could get on with other more important matters. There, that was all she needed to do. Boudica felt irrationally scared to put her simple plan into action.


-------



On his return to the Court of Albion, Alexander Kochanowski was a little disturbed to find Proconsul Lucius de Moncloa present, and more so to learn the reason. He reminded himself that this was exactly the sort of thing that was expected. Having been Ambassador to Mary's court, he'd left the Court just after Boudica was crowned. Now he was returning as Ambassador to Boudica's court, and so was presented to her.

Boudica rather liked Alexander, he was a middle aged man, his fair hair just turning to grey. Beneath a straight and rather prominent nose he wore a neat moustache. He was a forwards looking man, and had enjoyed some discussions with Boudica and Brian Peters about the inventions that were slowly but surely changing the world that they lived in.

"Ambassador Kochanowski it is a pleasure to see you again, I hope that you had a pleasant journey."

"Thank you Your Majesty." He gave an impish grin, "Sadly my journey was all that you could expect at this time of year, being cold, wet, or muddy, or sometimes all three. So I can say with complete honesty that it is a pleasure to be here." There was the briefest of pauses, "If only to get warm again."

Boudica laughed.

"You are always so funny Ambassador."

"Then for once, I must be serious. Your Majesty may I present my companion, Pater Jagiellow."

Pater Jagiellow made a polite bow.

"I'm pleased to meet you Pater Jagiellow."

The priest had a dolorous face, and looked incapable of happiness, yet his voice was calm and confident.

"Your Majesty is very kind. It is an honour to be in your presence."

Boudica wasn't sure how to make Queenly small talk, since small talk had never interested her much before she was a Queen. She was relieved when Kochanowski said,

"Your Majesty, I have brought you a communication from King Sigismund II Augustus."

He passed Boudica a letter, the heavy parchment sealed with wax, and bearing the imprint of the Pillars of Gediminas, Sigismund's personal insignia.

"His Royal highness expresses the wish that you will find much of interest in his letter."

Boudica broke the seal and opened the letter. Reading it Boudica felt a flutter of excitement. Looking up she saw that Proconsul Lucius was approaching. Folding the letter, she turned and passed it to William Cecil.

"Would you keep this so that I can read it more thoroughly later please Sir Cecil."

Cecil murmured his agreement.

Despite her fears, the Proconsul did not interrupt, he gave the Ambassador a brief nod, smiled at Boudica and went past. Boudica was impressed by Lucius' instinctive good manners.

"King Sigismund's letter does look very interesting at first glance. I hope you will understand that I shall want to read it carefully, and discuss it with members of the Council before making any sort of response?"

"Your Majesty, I would have been dismayed if you had suggested anything else. The King has briefed me as to it's contents and authorised me to discuss matters with you at your leisure, I am sure you will have noticed his comments to that effect in the first paragraph."

"I did Ambassador, and we will discuss matters at some later time. For now, I hope that you will take the opportunity to get properly warm."

"Thank you Your Majesty, that I shall be very glad to do."

Pater Jagiellow said,

"I hope that I too may share some conversation with you Your Majesty. At some convenient time of course."

"Certainly Pater Jagiellow." Boudica wondered what he would want to talk about, though she could guess.


-------


"It does look a very tempting offer Your Majesty." William Cecil passed the letter to Brian Peters, who began reading it.

"Though of course we would need to get the details down in writing, and clear it with the rest of the Council." he continued.

"We would also have to consider the likely effect on our relationship with Rome." said Peters, handing the letter to Dr Dee.

"Much would depend upon your decision in respect of the Proconsul's offer of marriage." said Cecil.

"Oh." Boudica looked down at the table.

"Well I have decided, sort of decided."

She could feel her cheeks burning with embarrassment.

"I don't want to marry the Proconsul,"

"I don't think anyone really expected you to want to Your Majesty, but the decision was Yours to make."

In a small voice Boudica added,

"but I'm scared to tell him."

"Your Majesty, that is why you have your Council. I am happy to undertake to convey your decision to the Proconsul for you."

"Thank you Sir Cecil."

"Does Bayezid come into the equation?" Boudica asked, a little hesitantly. Cecil answered,

"I don't think so Your Majesty. Prince Bayezid is still here under his own discretion. His father, Suleiman is unlikely to be pleased by such an alliance, but our relations with him, Bayezid excepted, are necessarily distant.

A marriage to Prince Bayezid might change things for Sigismund though. Suleiman's forces border his lands, and there is frequent conflict."

"I don't want to marry Bayezid either."

Cecil felt sorry for Boudica.

"Would you like me to convey your decision to Prince Bayezid also Your Majesty?"

Boudica look gratefully at Sir William,

"Yes please. Thank you Sir Cecil."

"I am happy to serve you Your Majesty."

Dr. Dee had finished reading, and the letter was returned to Boudica.

"I would suggest that we involve the whole of Council before we discuss anything with the Ambassador. That does not however preclude us discussing the proposal before we take it to Council." said Cecil.

"I would agree, it is a very tempting proposal." Dee offered. "Shared exploration of ideas. A society for the study of natural philosophy."

"You know, that's an excellent idea," Brian Peters said enthusiastically, "we should found a society like that, even if we don't form an alliance with Silesia. A Royal Society."

Boudica's eyes glistened. "The Royal Society of Chester."


Word Count 1,726
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022264