*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022424
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1022424 added November 27, 2021 at 4:56pm
Restrictions: None
20211127
Iliaster explained that he was leaving for a few weeks with Master Bruno. He did not say aloud where he was going. He instructed them to carry on with the experiments they'd been making, and on strengthening their existing powers.

This will be a useful opportunity for us.

Iliaster broadcast telepathically.

Bernardo Bruno sat forwards.

Bruno heard you. Be careful of what you say now.

Catalina told Iliaster privately. then she started telling each of the other Mithraides individually to be very careful of what they said, and why.

Iliaster thought quickly.

We can see how far distant we can communicate like this.

The others responded enthusiastically.

Bruno leaned back slightly, unaware that his small movements had given him away.

I won't be gone long, don't worry.

Having hugged each of them, Iliaster collected the book he was currently reading, and left with Bruno for the harbour.

Once aboard the carrack, Iliaster was shown a place to sleep. Bruno told him that they would dine together and that the ship was going to take them along the Iberian coast, North to Gaul, and then across to Albion and around the coast to Chester. They would make stops at various coastal towns. Bruno seemed in no hurry, indeed Iliaster thought that Bruno seemed unusually cheerful and even friendly.

That evening, the two were sharing a meal in one of the small rooms.

"I am pleased with the progress you have made Iliaster. It is clear that the Mithraides are already coming together as a group under your leadership."

"Thank you Master Bruno, all of them are enthusiastic, pleased to be given this opportunity."

"Have you given any thought to your future? Their future?"

"We had hoped that we might continue to be of use to you even when the Celts are defeated Master Bruno." Iliaster temporised.

Bruno brushed this aside.

"Yes, yes, that is a very diplomatic answer Iliaster, and it shows that you are a man who is as careful of his charges as he is of himself. I know that you have reason to fear me, I made that plain when we met. You are a clever man Iliaster, and you have had to be to survive so long in a very hostile world. I want you to entertain the thought, the idea, that I may also be a man to trust."

"I shall do as you wish Master Bruno."

"Again the diplomatic answer. Well that is to be expected. Let me tell you something that may surprise you. I am in need of you trusting me for my plans to proceed fully. I want the Mithraides to become more than just a tool."

Iliaster listened, in spite of himself, he was very curious as to what the Heliodromus meant, and what he might be leading up to. Bruno leaned close to him, they were alone in the small room, but Bruno spoke very softly as if he feared to be overheard.

"Do you realise that if Pater Archinto were to die tomorrow, then I would almost certainly assume the position of Pater Patrum, the Father of Fathers. I would be Head of the Mithraic Church."

Iliaster took his cue from Bruno, and replied quietly,

"I... had not thought about it Master Bruno." Which was true Iliaster realised.

"Naturally I wish His Holiness no harm, I am merely stating a fact."

"Naturally Master Bruno."

"However, continuing this line of speculation, were I to become Pater Patrum, I should want the Mithraides to become more... central to things."

Iliaster listened, fascinated that the Heliodromus was, or at least appeared to be, confiding in him.

"I should want people I was comfortable working with. I have persuaded Pater Archinto that we must develop the capacity to deal with the sort of threat the Celts pose. It is possible to speculate that we might go further, and in time we might even have those with abilities involved in the governance of the Empire."

It was obvious that Bruno had big ambitions. It seemed that Iliaster and the Mithraides were some part of his schemes. To Iliaster this meant danger as well as opportunity. Bruno said no more that night about his plans, perhaps having decided to give Iliaster time to think about what he had divulged, and hinted at.

Catalina, are you there?

I am here, are you safe, are you well?

Yes all is well at present. You said Bruno could hear us?

Catalina explained how she had drawn that conclusion, and Iliaster admired how she had spotted such a little thing, and that it had given Bruno away.

It is well that you warned me.

Has he told you why he took you away like that? Catalina asked, so Iliaster explained what Bruno had told him, and that he was going to Albion so that he at least could travel there on his return.

But there's more. I think Bruno is playing some long game of his own, one that needs us.

He told Catalina all that he could remember of the conversation that evening.

He wants to rule the world.

What?

Oh Master Iliaster. Her tone was gently mocking, teasing him. He has abilities, he is like us, except that he has risen high in the ranks of the church. He talks about Archinto's death, and of himself replacing Archinto as Pater. He hints that he wants us at the centre of things. If we destroy the Celts, and utilise their troops to destroy the Silesians... It's obvious, he wants to use us to rule the world.

I. I believe you're right Catalina.

That is why he needs you to trust him, so he can reveal more of his plan to you. He might even reveal that he has powers.

I'm glad that he doesn't know all of ours yet.

He may know more than you think. I think he has been astrally visiting the island.

Iliaster was no longer amazed by how bright Catalina was.

That's partly why I started erecting the psychic defences. Though of course if he has been visiting, he must know now that we've put up guards.

Will your defences keep me out too? I hoped to visit you all.

If you do Bruno will know.

Yes, but he already knows that some of us can astrally travel, I imagine he'd expect it.

That's true, and no, I don't think they'd keep you out.

Really? How do they work?

They are supposed to keep out all malign entities and influences, you would not qualify as such.

But Bruno would?

He plans to use us. While we are useful he will look after us, but he's hardly benign, if we cease to be useful he will likely destroy us. he may do anyway, he may conclude we know too much, or even decide that we pose a threat to him.

You've given me a lot to think about. What do you think I should do?

Go along with him, what you are doing is risky - the Celts may have powers you and I haven't thought of. Be careful they don't detect you.

Bruno has already warned me of that.

That's because it is a real risk.

I shall be very careful.

Good. I want you back in one piece.

You have plans of your own for me Catalina?

I shall miss you whilst you are away.

At least we can talk, and we can meet astrally.

I wonder if I could come to you. Catalina said thoughtfully.

But you don't know where I am. I'm on a ship, I don't know where I am till we arrive at a port.

Yes, but I know you. I wonder if its possible to go to a person that we know, in the same way we can go to a place we know.

It's got to be worth trying. But what if Bruno sees you here?

Good point, but I think it's worth the risk to find out, before you get to Albion.

Then try it, but be careful.


Word Count: 1,342
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022424