*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022467
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1022467 added November 28, 2021 at 6:22pm
Restrictions: None
20211128
I am trying.

A pause.

But it isn't working. Can you describe where you are, that might help?

I'm sorry Catalina, but I'm in a bunk, and it is quite dark. All I can see is the wood above me, and that not clearly.

Never mind then, we can try another time, when you have more light.

I agree. I need to sleep now. Goodnight.

They exchanged a few more words, and then Iliaster gave himself over to trying to sleep. Except he couldn't. What Catalina had suggested was too big, too important. If it were true, and Iliaster thought that likely, then the opportunities it offered were staggering. The chance to live a life without always looking over his shoulder. Hadn't Bruno promised him something like that? Iliaster couldn't quite remember.

The implications of Bruno having risen so high in the church and yet possessing psychic abilities also shocked Iliaster. I thought I'd done well to just survive as long as I have, yet he has climbed the ladder almost to the top. That 'almost' is what is driving him still, and he needs us. I wonder what he will offer? More importantly, will he make good his promises.

He cannot rule alone. Even the Queen of Albion needs her Council, is that how he sees the Mithraides, as his version of Council. I can't see him wanting anyone to make decisions but himself. That said, I don't actually want to rule anyone, I just want a life that's not so constantly in threat of termination.

Eventually he fell asleep.


-------


Bruno was also thinking hard. Iliaster was not only talented, but he did seem capable of developing his powers.

I need to find out what he cares about besides self preservation. I can't offer him incentives to join me if he isn't interested in them. Can't see power being his main motivator, he doesn't pull rank on his fellow Mithraides, though he could. He likes the woman Catalina, though that is hardly surprising. And he cares for the others, I can tell. Could I persuade him to be my loyal right hand man?

Sooner rather than later I am going to have to tell him I have psychic powers as well as temporal power/ That may help to bring him around to my ideas, a fellow traveller and all that.

I should cultivate the others too. I had better do that when we return.

It will be interesting to see the Albion Court, though they will view me as a hostile. Perhaps I should change my plans, see if I can't join them, and attack Archinto with their backing. No!

No, I shall stick to my original plan.

He too eventually slept.

As their journey continued, Bruno tried to draw Iliaster out more, and talked with him often. he talked freely, and actually found it enjoyable having someone to confide in. Iliaster for the most part listened, and answered carefully when he had to. Despite this, Bruno learned that Iliaster really didn't care about exercising power. From his point of view, this was a good thing, as Iliaster would be unlikely to try and usurp him.


-------


"Your Majesty we have received a letter from Rome telling us that the Heliodromus, Bernardo Bruno intends to visit us."

Boudica looked startled, then asked,

"He's not going to ask to marry me is he?"

"I think it unlikely Your Majesty."

"Then what could he want?"

"Since you did not wish to marry the Proconsul, perhaps the Heliodromus has some proposal to make to relating to our currently friendly relations.

PLOT HOLE!!! HOW WAS DRAKE ABLE TO STEAL FROM IBERIAN SHIPS WHEN FERNANDO LUCIUS de MONCLOA WAS MARRIED TO MARY??

"Do you think that they have heard about the proposed alliance with Wrocław?"

"It may be. We will no doubt find out eventually."

"When is he coming?"

"Sometime in early spring, depending on weather."

"We must make him welcome."


-------


Catalina thought hard, but decided not to tell the others what she knew about Bruno. She thought it better to wait until Iliaster was back to make that choice. She tried several times to astrally travel to Iliaster, but could not manage this. She discussed it with her fellow Mithraides.

"Do you have something of Master Iliaster's? Something personal?"

Gianetta asked her.

"There are things of his in our room."

"Try holding something of his when you next try. You need a link to him."

Catalina was somewhat sceptical of this, but resolved to try it anyway. She picked one of his shirts, that she had intended to wash before his return. Composing herself, she once more tried to project herself to him.

Catalina finds her astral body is drawn accurately to Iliaster, and is able to observe him on board the ship. She returns to Ponza when she sees Bruno approaching Iliaster.

"Gianetta you are so clever. That worked, I went straight to him."

Gianetta beamed. Then she told them,

"A link is really important. That's why you need to be really careful about hair or nail parings. If someone gets a hold of them, they can use the link to work evil magic against you."

"We should all remember that, it would not do for us to leave ourselves vulnerable to any sort of attack." Catalina had found very quickly after Iliaster's departure that the rest of the Mithraides looked to her as being second in command.

"I wonder if I could travel to Master Iliaster if I held his shirt?" Hélène said shyly, "If you didn't mind that is Catalina?"

Passing Hélène the shirt, Catalina suggested that she should be wary of Bernardo Bruno seeing her, and in any case travel back quickly if she was successful.

Iliaster!

Yes, I can talk, I'm alone.

Hélène is going to try and travel to you. I was there a little while ago.

You were?

Catalina explained how Gianetta's suggestion had worked, and now Hélène wanted to try, which had seemed a good idea.

Iliaster looked around, but it was too busy for him to relax sufficiently to try and see into the astral.

She is back, and very happy. She saw you, you are standing near a mast, and there is a sailor with a blue shirt working nearby.

That's correct. This is a huge step forwards.

If you are able when in Albion, you should aim to steal something personal of anyone who will be a target. ((THIS BEST FROM BRUNO NOT CATALINA))

Has anyone else successfully projected into the astral yet? Iliaster asked.

Not so far, but we are working with them.


Word count: 1,104
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022467