*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022998-Blogging-Circle-for-129-Fred-Rogers-Tribute
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #2226993
Just my opinions and outlook on life
#1022998 added December 9, 2021 at 11:27am
Restrictions: None
Blogging Circle for 12/9 Fred Rogers Tribute
“I like to compare the holiday season with the way a child listens to a favorite story. The pleasure is in the familiar way the story begins, the anticipation of familiar turns it takes, the familiar moments of suspense, and the familiar climax and ending.”—Fred Rogers.

Your thoughts? Does it really have to be the holidays for one to experience?



Having had a very traditional holiday upbringing, I think this rings true. Children in most places of the world see the holidays as a time to be out of school, shopping with Dad to get Mom something, looking at light displays, making a list of their favorite toys for Father Christmas or Santa to bring. The joy of anticipation, leaving out cookies and hot chocolate, waking at 2am, peaking under the tree. The fun in the morning looking at shiny packages, waiting for a parent to get coffee, stockings are overflowing. After presents are unwrapped, groans because we have to go to Grandma’s house but that is fun also. Big hugs, more presents and a delicious meal with homemade cookies for dessert. We have been up most of the night but the adrenaline is high so we must ride that new bike, play with toys, then exhaustion sets in with mom and dad in recliners clutching spiked eggnogs or a stiff drink. They seem glad it is over but now is the cleanup they dread. For kids, it is a bath and bed, no fighting tonite, many hugs and kisses. Thus the familiar ending and it is usually a magical one.

It is a familiar beloved story but changes each year as you grow older and you have kids of your own and pass it along. We tend to love it even if the stores and traffic drive us nuts and our kids want everything.I remember my husband and a woman fighting over the last Millenium Falcon at Toys R Us one year. Dad won, he wouldn't give up. I stood and watched this crazy fight and thought, "Are we all nuts?" My husband had been a retail manager that went over to homes on Christmas Eve to assemble bikes if the customer needed help. When it is for your kid and you promised, well, all bets are off!

This year is really special for most since we have had 2 very strange holidays and some have lost family members. Covid and the news has had its negative effect on children so this year the holidays mean getting back to some semblance of “normal”.

We all need to keep in mind that this isn’t the story for all children although they see it on TV. There is a drug epidemic, still a food shortage and a homeless crisis. I went to church as a child and then took my kids when they were young. We always gave a wrapped gift for another child and also went to long term care homes to sing and take packages to older residents. I give to charities when I am able and taught my children . When I was still working, we used to get one person from each nursing unit and sang Christmas carols and gave out gifts on the pediatric wing.

Most of us are so fortunate and the very heart of the holidays is giving to others. So, teach your children well and don't tell them about the fight for the Star Wars prize. Gee, Santa did that. Right?

Fred Rogers was a presence in my kids lives and he always made us all feel special. We miss him.

© Copyright 2021 Redtowrite (UN: kat47 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Redtowrite has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022998-Blogging-Circle-for-129-Fred-Rogers-Tribute