*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024286-Storms-ABrewin--Gotta-Buy-Stuff
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2207577
So playing the trombone wasn't getting me in enough trouble?
#1024286 added January 8, 2022 at 3:51pm
Restrictions: None
Storms A'Brewin' ~ Gotta Buy Stuff?
After a stretch of extremely mild weather, temperatures in the 50s, flirting with the 60s on some days, Winter has finally arrived on Long Island here in New York. We've had several days of 30 and lower temps, and the first significant snow fell yesterday. We got about eight inches, it started around 2:30 AM and ended a bit after 8:00 AM.

So the usual storm prep took place;

         *ThumbsUpGreen* Snowblower gassed up and started. Just inside the overhead garage door, ready to roll.
         *ThumbsUpGreen* Two snow shovels in the house, ready to dig us out.
         *ThumbsUpGreen* Batteries for power snow shovel charged.
         *ThumbsUpGreen* Heated mat that melts snow on the top step plugged in.
         *ThumbsUpGreen* Both cars parked in the driveway, facing the street, the gas takes full.
         *ThumbsUpGreen* Flashlight and battery-powered lanterns test and ready.
         *ThumbsUpGreen* Generator gassed up, started, and ready.

Here's what I didn't do, and what I can't figure out!?!

         *Explode* Rush to the market to buy every loaf of bread I could find. Nope!!
         *Explode* Do the same with milk, large quantities of meat, and a variety of other perishables. Nope!
         *Explode* Go to the hardware/big box store, buy more snow shovels, and any ice melt I can find. And, Nope!

Now I'm not knocking people who do that, but I just can't figure out why.

No snowstorm has ever shut down Long Island for more than a day. I can remember some pretty bad storms. Back when I was in college, there were storms that forced me to stay on campus. Luckily, I had friends with dorm rooms, as long as I provided—ummm, refreshments, they were more than happy to house a guest for the night.

What I can't understand is the hoarding of perishable items. The biggest problem with snow and ice storms on Long Island is power outages. All of our power lines are overhead, so the added weight of snow or ice, coupled with wind, brings them down. My question has always been when I see the hoarding is; Okay, you've got all this extra stuff, what are you going to do with it when the frig stops running?

Yeah, I've got a standby generator, and my frig stays on. But, if I buy too much meat and other perishables I might have to take out some beer.

How is that right?

Anyway, we survived our first storm, with no loss of power, so it's a moot point now.

I did my snow blowing and shoveling—my two houses. The 70-year-old across the street, and the guy who got hurt at work, and the 92-year-old next store.

I have once again resolved to eventually move to a snow-free climate, I'm getting to old for this —!



Signiture Item...I'm only the trombone player!


© Copyright 2022 Richard ~ Shenanigans INC. (UN: brennus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Richard ~ Shenanigans INC. has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024286-Storms-ABrewin--Gotta-Buy-Stuff