*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026321-Surface-Pressure
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#1026321 added February 8, 2022 at 11:31pm
Restrictions: None
Surface Pressure

"The Soundtrack of Your Life | Day 7


"Surface Pressure"
by Jessica Darrow (from the Encanto soundtrack)





I went back and forth on which song to pick from this soundtrack. Like most of his work, I think Lin-Manuel Miranda did a great job with the songs on this soundtrack. He has such a distinctive flow to his lyrics, it's really remarkable. While I don't necessarily share his same passions like musical theater, I do admire him as an artist because he's managed to accomplish the goal most artists have, which is to have such a unique style that you instantly say, "Oh, I can tell that's a Lin-Manuel Miranda song!" We should all be so fortunate to have that kind of brand identity with our own creative works!

As tempted as I was to choose "We Don't Talk About Bruno" or "What Else Can I Do" (or even "Colombia, Mi Encanto") because I find myself listening to those songs more often, I picked "Surface Pressure" because I think it's the song that I most identify with right now. I won't ruin the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it (definitely worth a watch, though!), but it's about someone who feels all the burdens placed on her, and who struggles to always carry the ever-increasing weight of expectations. Needless to say, as a parent of young children... and as someone who has been struggling to manage work and family in a pandemic... the themes of this song really speak to me right now. *Wink*


© Copyright 2022 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026321-Surface-Pressure