*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026324-Idontwannabeyouanymore-by-Teddy-Swims-cover
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #2266568
28 songs for the month of February. The soundtrack of my life in 2022.
#1026324 added February 9, 2022 at 1:56am
Restrictions: None
"Idontwannabeyouanymore" by Teddy Swims (cover)


Cover of Billie Eilish's "Idontwannabeyouanymore" by Teddy Swims

Don't be that way
Fall apart twice a day
I just wish you could feel what you say
Show, never tell
But I know you too well
Got a mood that you wish you could sell

If teardrops could be bottled
There'd be swimming pools filled by models
Told "a tight dress is what makes you a whore"
If "I love you" was a promise
Would you break it, if you're honest?
Tell the mirror what you know she's heard before
I don't wanna be you, anymore

Hands getting cold
Losing feeling is getting old
Was I made from a broken mold?
Hurt, I can't shake
We've made every mistake
Only you know the way that I break

If teardrops could be bottled
There'd be swimming pools filled by models
Told "a tight dress is what makes you a whore"
If "I love you" was a promise
Would you break it, if you're honest?
Tell the mirror what you know she's heard before

I don't wanna be you
I don't wanna be you
I don't wanna be you, anymore



One of my favorite things is popular songs covered by someone completely unexpected, the opposite gender, vocal style, time signature, genre, etc. than the original artist. Although Teddy doesn't stray much at all from the original melody or musical style, he puts a very different spin and feel on this Billie Eilish hit song. It was already a beautiful song with meaningful lyrics, but somehow Teddy and his golden voice make it even more so. I love those subtle runs and the way he sings, "Tell the mirror / What you know she's heard before". His voice has a lot of flavor in the way he approaches his vowels, but at the same time it's so warm and comforting. Like a big hug from a Teddy bear. A Teddy Swims bear.

The contrast of vulnerable lyrics and angelic vocals coming from a tough looking exterior is very striking. Just goes to show that insecurities and body image issues are not limited to pretty young women such as Billie. Almost everyone, at one point or another, has looked in the mirror and not liked what they saw. It's a nearly universal human experience, especially in the modern times of social media, where anything and everything you do is being watched (and judged) by an audience of sometimes thousands of people. It's so easy to compare yourself and your life to others' curated highlight reel and wish you were someone else. I’ve actually touched on the concept of self image before in my poem "Mirror, Mirror [13+], written from the perspective of a bathroom mirror. And that's enough shameless self-promotion for one blog entry.

If you haven't heard it before, also check out the original by Billie Eilish: https://youtu.be/-tn2S3kJlyU.


Anni


© Copyright 2022 Anni Pon (UN: annipon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Anni Pon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026324-Idontwannabeyouanymore-by-Teddy-Swims-cover