*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027097-22022---Muddy-Waters
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2251487
Guided by prompts from WDC blogging challenges... and of course, life
#1027097 added February 20, 2022 at 1:15pm
Restrictions: None
2/20/22 - Muddy Waters
February 20, 2022
Soundtrack of Your Life Logo


Sometimes, a girl is just in the mood to hear the Blues. Like many other music types, Blues music has a way of moving the listener, of affecting their emotions through rhythm and melody. My favorite Blues singer is Muddy Waters, whose style is considered to be Electric Blues. I find his music soothing, his voice moving.

A little about Muddy Waters:
         Muddy Waters, born April 1913, was given the name McKinley Morganfield. He was born in a very small town in Mississippi and was grew up in the cotton fields. He was given the nickname "Muddy" as a small child due to his love of splashing in the muddy waters of Deer Creek, a creek that ran through the plantation where he lived and worked. His formal education ended in elementary school when he was taken out of school in order to work the fields. He quickly discovered that church and music were effective in helping his mind escape from the rigors of the cotton fields. His musical ability began with the harmonica and grew to include the guitar. The earliest recording of his work was in 1941, when he was recorded by Alan Lomax for a project the Library of Congress was doing, highlighting the musical styles of the South. In 1943, he moved to Chicago. He bought his first electric guitar in 1944 and created his electric ensemble. In 1946 he had albums with both Columbia Records and Aristocrat Records. He quickly became known for his unique style of Blues as "The Father of Modern Chicago Blues," as he was the only Blues performer of the time utilizing an electric guitar. His style of music influenced bands such as The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, ZZ Top, AC/DC, and Cream - musicians like Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, and BB King. During his musical career, Muddy's music won six Grammy's, five Blues Foundation awards, and had four songs on the list of "500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll". Muddy Waters was also inducted into the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame in 1980, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987, and the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1992. Oh! And in 1994, the U.S. Postal Service commissioned a 29 cent stamp featuring the musician. Suffice it to say the man was amazing, and his music will live on forever.

The song I chose is amongst my many favorite songs by Muddy Waters (I have numerous albums I still enjoy listening to). The title of the song is Got My Mojo Working. Got My Mojo Working was written by Preston "Red" Foster and was first recorded by R&B singer Ann Cole in 1956. Muddy adapted the song to fit the feel of Electric Blues in 1957 and "the best recorded version of the song" was released in 1960. The song was a staple at live concerts throughout Muddy's career.

Lyrics for Got My Mojo Working:

Other Cool Facts:


© Copyright 2022 LeJenD' Looking Up (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' Looking Up has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027097-22022---Muddy-Waters