*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027404-22422---Jethro-Tull
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2251487
Guided by prompts from WDC blogging challenges... and of course, life
#1027404 added February 25, 2022 at 12:11pm
Restrictions: None
2/24/22 - Jethro Tull
Soundtrack of Your Life Logo


Jethro Tull - "Thick as a Brick"


The Band:
The band name was the idea of their agent, a farming history enthusiast. (The inspiration for the name was Jethro Tull, an 18th century British agriculturalist who invented farming tools like the seed drill and the horse-drawn hoe.) They kept the name because they were using it the first time a club manager liked their show enough to invite them to return. Jethro Tull is a British progressive rock group from England that was created in December 1967. Ian Anderson, who has led the band since its founding, gives the band their signature sound with his vocals, acoustic guitar, and flute. Also of note is the guitar work of Martin Barre, who has been with the band since 1969, since replacing the original guitarist Mick Abrahams. Through the years, the band has seen many changes in its members and its sound, but the presence of Ian Anderson has remained a constant.



Jethro Tull has been an active band since 1967 with the exception of a 5-year gap between 2012 and 2017 and they have released albums on a variety of labels. They won a Grammy award in 1988 for "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance, Vocal or Instrumental" for their album "Crest of a Knave." The band is also known for songs such as "Aqualung  " and "Locomotive Breath  ." (Click on a song name to hear it on youtube.)

The Song:
"Thick as a Brick" is an amazing composition in two parts. The song, composed by Ian Anderson in 1971, was released in March 1972 as its own album of the same title. The album contains a continuous piece of music, split over two sides of the LP, and is a parody of the concept album genre. The original packaging, designed like a newspaper, claims the album to be a musical adaptation of an epic poem by fictional eight-year-old genius Gerald Bostock - though the lyrics were actually written by Anderson. It received mixed reviews upon its release but was a commercial success and topped various charts in 1972. Today it is regarded as a classic of progressive rock and has received several accolades. The song/album is a conglomeration of musical themes, time signature changes and tempo shifts – all of which were features of the progressive rock scene. The song prominently features flute, acoustic and electric guitars, and Hammond organ, and also includes harpsichord, glockenspiel, timpani, violin, lute, trumpet, saxophone, and a string section. Unusual instruments for a rock band to use, even back in the late 1960's. It could be considered a symphony of progressive rock music.


Lyrics:



© Copyright 2022 LeJenD' Looking Up (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' Looking Up has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027404-22422---Jethro-Tull