*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027530-Escape-to-LA
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1027530 added February 27, 2022 at 9:36am
Restrictions: None
Escape to L.A.
Since I'm traveling, I'm just going to try to post some daily updates instead of the usual stuff. When I'm at home, it's rare that something happens that's worthy of blogging about for more than one or two sentences. Like maybe I'll see a movie, and then I deliberately do a one-sentence review. Of maybe my cat does something funny, but I don't want to waste space here on an image item so it's not something I can usually blog about.

Anyway, so, yesterday, I drank.

Okay, I know, big surprise.

Another big surprise was that, after the major departure delay I've already discussed, both of the flights I took left on time and arrived early. This offended my sense of reality, because I was sure that something else was going to go wrong. It had to. Maybe, I thought as I waited by the baggage claim at LAX, maybe the airline sent my checked bag to Cleveland. I mean, this would suck, of course, but at least it would vindicate my view of the universe.

But no, my bag was about the sixth one off the carousel.

Several years ago, I flew out to Vegas. Similarly, I was waiting at baggage claim, figuring either my bag had taken a left turn to Albuquerque or fell off the carrier and was broiling on the hot McCarran tarmac. But no, behold, the very first bag off the conveyor was mine. "Well," I thought. "This will never happen again."

So that's what I was thinking of when I pulled my suitcase off the baggage claim, because nothing else had gone wrong: "I was right. Mine wasn't the first bag off the belt."

Anyway, I spend the rest of the day hanging out with Annette and her family. We went up to Mount Wilson Observatory, for starters, which won't mean much to you unless you're an astronomy nerd, but for us astronomy nerds, that place is a Pretty Big Deal in terms of the history of astronomy. For example, it holds the telescope that Edwin Hubble used to figure out that galaxies were galaxies and that the universe is expanding, which was one of the most massive paradigm shifts in the history of science.

When we got back to L.A., then I drank.

© Copyright 2022 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027530-Escape-to-LA