*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1028826-Vacation
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#1028826 added March 13, 2022 at 1:14am
Restrictions: None
Vacation
         Just when I accepted an invitation to the Outer Banks, I woke up to snow today. I spent most of the day at the opera, the Met Live HD. Thousands of people all over the world supposedly watch this broadcast at the same time as the live production. Today they also showed a film of the Met chorus and orchestra performing the Ukrainian National Anthem the first day of the war a few weeks ago. Everyone in their audience stood. Everyone in my audience also stood. It's not a mellifluous tune, but it was a very moving experience. I had to wipe my eyes.

         I haven't had a vacation in 4 or 5 years, but most people cut back during the pandemic. I have to drive about 5 or more hours by myself, at the current price of gas. But the lodging is my brother's house at Salvo. I will keep his 9-year-old busy for a few days, while he works on the house. I might get in some mini-golf. I have to pack t-shirts and sweat shirts. Who knows from day to day?

         I tried to find reasons not to go. Two abandoned cats that I feed will go unfed. They're accustomed to being outdoor cats now, but I have spoiled them with warm towels to sleep on my porch and plenty of food. Then there's the newspapers piling up in the driveway and the mail. I won't have computer access to clean out my junk e-mail. I dread the long drive and making the wrong turn at the end of I-64. But I've managed to start feeling a little excited about going.

         I still have to water all the plants before I go, so I won't come home to dried up brown things. And I'll have to take the milk and cheese in a cooler, and some fruit, so they won't spoil. I can't pack the toothbrush and medicines (a boatload) until I'm ready in the morning. But then I'm off. I'll catch up with WDC Saturday maybe.

© Copyright 2022 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1028826-Vacation