*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1029982-As-the-flower-sheds-its-fragrance
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2171316
As the first blog entry got exhausted. My second book
#1029982 added April 3, 2022 at 10:07am
Restrictions: None
As the flower sheds its fragrance
“Mataji, what is the use of doing sadhana, japa, meditation, rituals and all the rest?

We go on practicing for years; but whether we get anywhere by all this exertion and self-denial we do not know. Does it bring us nearer to Reality?” This is a very common question and I have heard Mataji reply something like this:

“When you wash your clothes you have to apply soap. It is of course true that the clothes will not be clean unless the soap is rinsed off again. But can dirt be removed without soap? The thought of God is the soap that in the end has to be washed away by the purifying waters of the Ganges of Supreme Knowledge (Jnana Ganga). Don’t worry about results. In business you give and you get something in return. This is called a bargain, but it is no real gain. If you adopt this sort of mercenary attitude you will not get anywhere. Never leave off your practice until there is Illumination. You must be adamant in your pursuit. The remembrance of God is like a flame. In whichever direction
it is blown, there it will burn up whatever gets into its way. According to your actions you will reap the fruits. No effort is ever wasted. Good works and bad works will yield their harvest in great abundance— for He is extremely generous. Perhaps you will argue, ‘I want to be a king but my wish is not granted.’ You get exactly what is due to you—nothing less and nothing more. When a pitcher full of water has a hole, however small, all the water will leak away. This is how it is with you; your concentration is never complete, there is a break in it, you do not want anything with your whole being.”

“A dose of poison kills a man. But the objects of the senses act like slow poison, gradually they push you towards death. So long as you are worldly-minded you get a ‘return ticket,’ you remain bound to the round of birth and rebirth, repeating the same kind of experience over and over again.”
“God is Immortal. If you aspire to find Him you become a pilgrim on the path of Immortality. Try to keep company with the pilgrims on this path and you will realize your Self as the Immortal.”

Mataji is very emphatic about the importance of obeying the Guru’s orders implicitly without criticism.

“Be very careful whom you accept as your Guru. Don’t be in a hurry. Take your time over it and use your intelligence. But once you have accepted a Guru, it is irrevocable and you must surrender completely. If you fail in this, I maintain you have not accepted him as your Guru.”
Several years ago some Westerners came to Mataji and had a discussion with Her, which throws an interesting sidelight on this question. One of them asked, “How can I get Self- realisation?”

Mataji: He is Self-effulgent, it is not you who can bring it about.
Questioner: Still, should we not make an effort?
Mataji: Yes, the Self is hidden by a veil, you have to wear it down by your own exertion.
Questioner: What is the process by which this can be accomplished?
Mataji: Do you really want Self-realisation?
Questioner: Of course, I do!
Mataji: Then are you prepared to do exactly as I tell you without letting your judgment interfere? Here the gentleman became thoughtful and hesitated. He evidently was feeling uncomfortable. Mataji smiled at him encouragingly.
At last he said: I regard Sri Ramana Maharshi as my Guru, but I have not met Him as yet. I intend going to Tiruvannamalai shortly.
Mataji: Then you must do exactly as He instructs you. But do you really want Self-realisation?
Questioner: Certainly, have I not come all the way to India for this purpose?
“For this and nothing else?” questioned Mataji once more.
“For this and nothing else,” confirmed the seeker.

Three times Mataji had repeated the question and three times the response had been the same. Mataji became very serious. Her voice was definite and powerful when She spoke: “If this is so, if you want Self-realisation and nothing else, it does not matter whether you do as I tell you. If you really want this one thing only, you will find a way; there is no doubt about it!


© Copyright 2022 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1029982-As-the-flower-sheds-its-fragrance