*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031698-Boyhood-memories
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2171316
As the first blog entry got exhausted. My second book
#1031698 added April 30, 2022 at 8:57am
Restrictions: None
Boyhood memories

Sher Singhji survives serious illness through Ma's grace

My Nanaji, Ch. Sher Singh ji fell ill and his illness took a very serious turn. His family doctor Durga Prasad ji was out of station. Munna had gone to Pundri to father Lal Naurattan Singh ji who was in his house in Pundri. Sher Singh ji, his wife, daughter, myself & Sacchu were in Dehradun house.
Some relatives who were interested in Doonga properties, seeing the opportunity, shifted to Sher Singh's house with their full paraphernalia of stafff on the pretext of looking after the old man, who was almost breathing his last. Treatment of Sher Singh was being supervised by the Civil Surgeon of Dehra Dun, who was of a British nationality. This was during the British rule in India.
They also started tántric practices in the house, which we came to know later. Owl nails were found tied to the cot of Sher Singhji and other "Charms" etc. were also used. Their family Doctor was employed. Payment to the doctors & treatment was made by their managers. My mother was only weeping and calling upon Ma to save him.
At this moment my Chhoti Nani took a very bold step, She said that she was going to Ma with my mother (daughter of Sher Singh ji). Ma was at Kishenpur Ashram. Nani ji could not get even her own ear. She was told that they had gone to bring doctors and nurses. So Nani ji with my mother walked all the distance to Ram Singh's residence. He was also a great devotee of Ma. Ram Singh bhal took the ladies in his own car to Ma at Kishenpur. Ma was told about Sher Singh's illness. Ma immediately accompanied them to Sher Singh's house. Now the problem came, Ma never entered any building of a house-holder. The residence of Sher Singh was in the upper storey with shops on the ground floor. Ma climbed the stairs and waited on the top stair. Sher Singh's room was across the verandah and a large room. He was in his bed. Naniji wanted to lift him and bring him to Ma. Doctor and the rest of the party was against this and warned that if they even moved his bed they would be responsible. At this my Nani ji asked me to lift the bed from one side and lifting the bed herself on the other side, we lifted the cot and brought Sher Singh ji into the verandah. Nana ji's face was towards the stairs. Ma seeing him spoke, "Pitaji, every thing will be all right" and blessed him by lifting her hand with that compassionate look in her eyes. Sher Singh ji saw Ma and with shaking hands he lifted them to join in pronam, a drop of tear trickled down his face. Ma was gone, we shifted him to his bed room. Sher Singh jis family doctor Dr. Durga Prasad arrived. All others, who were there with evil intentions gradually left our house. Sher Singh ji recoverd soon. This was all Ma's play.
Jai Ma

I had a great liking for alcohol those days and a stage came when I became a complete alcoholic. I was taken to Ma by my mother and my head was put at her feet forcefully and was told that I drank heavily. Ma looking at me, said, "Robi, alcohol, "chi-chi"★." Now I don't even remember that there was anything like it. I am now completely free from it. Jai Ma.

Ma forbids shikar in the vicinity of the temple

Munna ji, my elder brother, was staying in Doonga with his close friend Keshav Kukreti. Programme was made to go for fowl shooting. So beaters were called from the village. Beating was started from north to south with shooter taking position at the southern end in the jungle on the slopes between Swarna river and Doonga village. Beating of the bushes with sticks and loud noises, throwing stones in the bushes so that fowls & pheasants would fly southward toward the shooters. Other animals like wild boar etc. would also run towards the shooters.
Munnaji and Keshavji had taken up their positions in front of the Doonga temples, a distance of say 200 feet. All of a sudden they saw an antelope running and stopping at a distance of say 40 feet in front of them.
Munnaji saw it with his gun ready, but was watching its unusual large eyes. He was as if hypnotized; people sitting next to him started murmuring, 'shoot 'shoot. Without intention he aimed and fired. The animal jumped upwards & fell on the other side in the bushes. The beaters closed in and enquired as to what had been shot. Munnaji told them pointing towards the direction to go and fetch the antelope lying in those bushes. All of them went to the spot. They saw a few drops of blood but the antelope was not there. They searched the area thoroughly, no sign. After sometime Munnaji who was sitting at the same place fainted and was supported by Keshavji. He was carried to Doonga Kothi and driven to Dehradun. Doctor came and checked him but could not find anything. Later my brother told me that he felt
_______________________
★"Shame, shame".
_______________________
as if some one had poured melted lead in his ears and he fainted. It took him about six months to recover. Ma came to Kishenpur Ashram. He was taken to Ma. Ma heard the whole episode, then seriously told every one, even my Nanaji, never to shoot in that area, because in that area a lot of high order Rishis and Yogis used to roam in different forms. Munnaji recovered after some time.Jai Ma

My mother also saved by Ma's grace

My mother's only dependences in life was none else than Ma. She had completely surrendered herself to Ma. Once she was returning from Kanpur after Samyam Saptaha. I received a telegram which was not clear. I took some one in my jeep to the station. The train arrived and I was peeping through the windows and looking for my mother. I went into the compartment. I looked at the berths but no sign of her. Saw some one lying on the floor of the compartment. I went and saw that she was my mother. I and my friend picked her up and carried her out of the station to the jeep, laid her in the rear and drove back home to Doonga House. Here she was laid upon the bed, I went to doctor and told him about the condition of my mother. She could hardly speak. Her temples had shunk in completely with dehydration. He immediately ordered his nursing staff to take a few glucose bottles.
and some injections, and said that night was crucial. I had faith that nothing would go wrong. I and the Doctor were surprised as to where life hung in her emaciated body. Only Ma knows. She started recovering from the next morning and lived up to the age of 86. She was so humble and egoless, although being the only daughter of R.B. Ch. Sher Singh ji of Doonga. Even the lowest of the household servants could do wrong and she would only be smiling. Tears would come if she heard any sad news. Even when needed, she could not scold anyone.Jai Ma.

Pundri

Pundri is a village about 30 km. from Mainpuri with an old fortress on top of a small hillock. On the side of the outer wall of the fortress of Pundri is an ancient Shiva temple on top of a well. Lord Shiva is enshrined at the bottom of the well. In front of the Shiva temples is the samadhi of Pundarik rishi, after whom the village. is named. Next to it is Thakur jis temple with Radha installed in it. Facing both t these temples was Ma's room, where she stayed when ever she visited Pundri.
Thakur Lal Naurattan Singh was the Zamindar of Pundri. My mother, daughter of Ch. Sher Singhji, was married to him.Little vague remembrances of the early days of Doonga, Kishenpur, Raipur, Anand Chowk temple & Pundri. At Doonga Ma was sitting in the pine forest (Chirwali Dandi) surrounded by my grand mother, my mother and villagers. bhaktas and sadhus. I remember Hari Ram Joshi, Ram Singhji, Devi Dutt, Abhaya, who was a boy elder to me and always with Ma. Ma was sitting quiet. I dont know how to express. There was pin drop silence, broken only by melodious sounds of wild birds. The day was coming to a close. Later my grandmother told that Ma was describing about two persons in their subte bodies to Nana ji. One of them was Tika Shyam Singh (Sher Singh's nephew) on a horse back with a guard. He died in his early 30's He was an alcoholic and was a terror in his days. And the other was a very old lady sitting naked under a tree and watching Ma. Nanaji confirmed and told that his grandmother who was very old used to sleep naked the col and died like this. Ma gave exact descriptions of their features. Abhaya used to be after Ma and kept on asking her if they both were delivered by Ma's glance.

My illness & Deviji seeing Ma

Once I fell very ill and fever would not go. Devi ji used to nurse me. I only remember in my semi-consciousness that Deviji did pranam to some one. I looked but there was no one. Later she told my grand mother that Ma had come and looked down on me and put her hand on my head. Devi ji told that I would be all right and yes, I became well.

Hari Baba

One day we saw Hari baba standing in front of Doonga Kothi gate. My grand father and every one falling at his feet. Later we heard that Hari Baba came on foot from Bund, a distance of 150 Miles.

Nar and Narayana

I saw two young sanyasis sent by Mother to Doonga when Ma's ashram was built at Chir Wali Dandi. They were twins. We became curious. They used to walk on hands for hours with feet up in the air. This asan they used to do daily on the kitchen roof of Ma's ashram at Chir Wali Dandi, Doonga. Ma named them as "Nar" and "Narayana".

Nanaji caught drinking

Nanaji, my grand-father, used to take drinks in the evening before dinner. One evening my grand mother came running from outside Kothi clapping her hands & shouting. "Ma has come". I also came and saw Ma sitting in the car, door open. We did pranam. Nana ji also came down and burst into tears like a child before Ma, while doing pranam to Her.

Benares: Fever in boats

My father used to tell us that once when they were in Benares, the Doonga & Pundri party with full paraphernalia were all down with fever. Ma came and visited each boat and then went away. Fever of every one was gone. The next day my father went to do pranam and some one told that Ma was in fever. As my father bent down to touch the feet, it was felt like touching a red hot pan With a jerk he pulled his hands back, the next day Ma recovered.

Ma's Birthday Celebration

Sher Singh ji, my grand mother, my elder brother Munna ji & his wife Prema Devi attended the function. They did pranam to Ma. prasad was given to every one by Ma. Grand mother asked for more prasad for persons left at home. Ma gave her. Prema was standing at the rear. Ma called her and said: "You are not asing for prasad. No child"?. Ma called her and gave her some prasad. Exactly after nine months a son was born to her. My grand mother named him 'Anand'. Anya, the only daughter of my brother. Munna ji, fell ill in childhood. She told her mother that she wanted to give silver "Payal" to Ma and She would give it back to her. Ma was informed. Ma came and Anya got the Payal by Ma after offering to her. Now Anya is married to Shyam Narayan Singh, younger brother of Sri Gopal Narian Singh of Ranchi. He is also a devotee of Ma. Jai Mal

Ma Ka Bhog

Ma used to call my father Lal ji'. He was very fond of food, I mean, varieties of items in food. Once he requested Ma that he wanted to offer her "Chappan Vyanjan Bhog" meaning 56 dishes His wish was granted. Swami Paramanandji was instructed by Ma to do the needful. So my father offered 56 dishes to Ma and when getting the prasad he was particular that he also got every item. Ma used to call my grand mother as 'Alhadi' and said that she was her own sister in the previous incarnation. Ma even named me, "Manpuri Ka Raja" The monarch of my mind'. I pray someday I may really become one.
Ma visited Pundri in the 40's twice. I do not exactly remember which incident took place during which of her visits. This I remember that She went to see the Baryarwali Devi on both of her visits. This was the occasion of the installation of the deities.Father had built a temple with Lord Krishna and Shri Radha ji and also a temple over the samadhi of Punadrik Rishi.
There was a big 'Bhoj, food to be distributed to the residents of the Pundri estate and the expected crowd was about five thousand. It used to be the custom in those days that women folk from each village and caste came with their own. "Chakla Belan" (instrument for making puris) and sat in different groups in the central grounds of the Pundri Fort. They sang Kirtan while they busied themselves. with their work. People started having food after the Brahmin's feast was over.
My father was informed that crowds of men & women were coming from far off distances. He was least worried at that moment. Ma with her sevikás entered the main gate and to the place where ladies were working. Ma stepped forward her, feet fell upon one of the "Puris". She said to the village women to do kirtan loudly. and also herself participated in singing kirtan, clapping her hands in rhythm. Later we came to know that around 15,000 people had taken prasad in that "Bhandara" with Ma's kripa

Shri Ma's honour at Pundri

It was the tradition in those days on festivals like Holi, Dusserah etc or on the birth of a son or on marriage in the royal family of the Pundri House that dancers from the village of Tarapur came to celebrate. So arrangements were made in the evening in the Pundri fore ground in front of the courts on the concrete open floor. Seat was made for Ma. Rest of the family members and other important people on cither side, with centre being empty in front of Ma's dais. Everyone came and were seated. Musicians getting ready with their instruments and the dancing girls waiting for Ma to arrive.
My father, despite lots of opposition from the ladies of the house, managed to bring Ma to the function. All saw Ma coming, followed by the sevikas and other bhaktas and was seated on the asan on the dais, Everyone stood up in her honour. After settling down every one started doing pranam. Ladies of the house watched from the windows of the main house. The function started, the main girl of the dancing group got up and after doing pranam started singing some Bhajan. There was pin drop silence, except for the singing & music. Ma was watching her very deeply. Hardly few minutes had passed when the dancing girl suddenly burst into tears, followed by the musicians and all spectators. Every one was sobbing, they could not stop. After some time Ma got up with folded hands and with that smile on her face walked away through the main gate to the temple area where her room was. On being asked by the people they only said they only felt that every thing was drained out of them, No explanation. Jai Ma

Shri Ma's visit to Baryar

My grandmother told Ma that few miles from Pundri there was a place called Baryar, An "Ahir" girl from the age of 6-7 had been doing sadhana, this girl had been sitting there in siddhásan for the last 5 years and was keeping maun.
My father learning about this had built a brick hut for her. One elderly lady came from somewhere no body knows to look after her. The door of the hut used to be closed from inside and whenever any one came for her darshan, they had to announce name and place after knocking at the door. If she wished then she would clap and the door would open. One could hear the chain fall and the door unlock from inside. Whenever in winter vacation we went to Pundri, one day we would definitely go to Baryar for darshan with our grandmother & mother, me and my elder brother. My elder brother and I were curious to know how fast she must be getting back to her seat after unchanging the door, because we always found her sitting in the meditative pose, hands folded in her lap and her breathing absolutely. calm and normal. She knew our intentions and would give a smile.
Ma agreed to visit and we all went with Ma to Baryar in bullock carts. At the door of Devi ji's hut my grand mother announced that Ma had come The door was opened. Ma was taken in and her asan was placed in front facing her. Ma after putting her hand on Devijis head, kept looking at Devi ji and after sometime we all were told to go out of the hut.
The door was closed with Ma & Devi ji only inside. After some time the door. was opened and we noticed that Deviji's face was glowing brightly. Before leaving Ma again blessed her. She remained in her seat, did pranám to Ma with fingers straggling in joined hands and eyebrows contracting. Ma left with all of us for Pundri. Later Ma said that the girl had come to complete her sådhana left over from her previous birth. After six years she opened her mauna (broke her silence). There was a big function and when the pundits asked her to repeat the Veda Mantras, she repeated. The voice, which was heard, was so fine and melodious that no one can describe it.


© Copyright 2022 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031698-Boyhood-memories