*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032271-Chapter-3
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Adult · #2272852
Jake, Beth, and Pam have to band together with old foes to stop the monster they unleashed
#1032271 added May 12, 2022 at 5:02am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3
Rebecca awoke from her slumber feeling more drained than when she'd first gone to sleep. The dreams she had were nightmarish at best. Memories of her time in that dreadful harem, visions of unspeakable acts committed in her name, and the bodies of Jake, Beth, and Pam broken, battered, and bloody at her feet were just a few of the atrocious sights she had seen. Was she truly the savior of this world, or was she the advocate for its destruction? She'd never questioned herself before, so why was she even worrying about it? Deep down, she knew the answer, but she refused to give into the notion that what she had seen was real. It couldn't be, there was no way.

The pain of waking up in an empty bed while knowing that Jake was back in her world only added to her discontent. She climbed out of bed and put her head in her hands. She had hoped that he would come back, but it seemed he was hellbent on defying her. She glanced at the grandfather clock that was in the corner of the room. Eight hours left. She could only hope that Pamela and Elizabeth had come to their senses, and that they would bring him back to her. Somehow, she doubted that she would get that lucky. Even if they wanted to succumb to her demands, she knew they would side with Jake if he chose to oppose her. She would never admit aloud to anyone, but she admired their loyalty to their friend. It was that loyalty that had played a part in her choosing to absolve them of their sins and transgressions.

She took a deep breath as she stood up. It didn't matter. Their choices were their own, and there was nothing she could do to stop them from this room. She would honor her word about the seventy-two hours, but that didn't mean she couldn't begin prepping her forces for a city wide sweep. Her gut told her that they would reject her offer. She never said she wouldn't track them, though. If she could locate them then it would make her arrival and acquisition all the more simple. She took a moment to compose herself before exiting the room. She couldn't afford to show any cracks or weakness in herself to her followers.

She opened the door, stepped out of the room, and walked to the banister overlooking the bottom floor. Using a simple spell to broadcast her voice across the manor, she spoke in a commanding tone that echoed throughout the mansion, "Let it be known, that your Goddess has a new decree. My precious Raven has gone out of his own accord, most likely to seek out the comfort of my former disciple and her pet. I want them found, but none of you are to lay a finger on any of them. Find them, and report their whereabouts to me. Whoever dares to go against my instructions will pay dearly for it. Their time has not yet elapsed, and there is still a chance that they may return to us of their own accord. I want their submission to be willingly, but if they choose to resist, then I will show them the error of their ways myself. Do I make myself clear?"

Every one of her followers stopped at the sound of her voice and looked up at her. One of her maidens stepped forward and asked, "Would it not be better for us to approach them, Goddess? We can offer them the chance at salvation and witness your glory to them. Your truth has saved this city, and surely they need only hear us speak of you to see the light."

Another stepped forward to add, "Your Raven belongs by your side, Goddess. Let us do your will and bring him back to you!"

"No," her voice boomed, "They've seen the power that I have, and they know better than anyone here what I'm capable of. Monitor and report, nothing more. Go, carry out my will. I will reward anyone who can bring me information on their whereabouts, and any who disobey my command will be severely punished. Rally the forces, spread the word, and let any who have ears to hear, hear my command. Let all who have eyes, see the truth that I bring."

The entirety of the people below bowed and cried out in unison, "Yes, Goddess, your will be done!"

She smiled at her flock before turning to return to her room. She needed to meditate while she had the chance. Her mind was still at war with itself, and she needed to be ready for when the time eventually came. She would not fail, she couldn't. She would bring them to their knees if that was what it took. She hoped that they would not be foolish enough to go against her, but she expected them to do just that. Those three had been a thorn in her side time and again, but this time she would succeed where she had failed in the past. They would bow before her, take their places as instruments of her will, and they would be remade in her image. One way or another, they would come to call her Goddess again.

Beth and Pam had done their best to avoid getting spotted by Rebecca's mobile patrols and guards. Pam had cast a simple illusion spell on the two of them that caused them to blend in. It was a basic spell, but so long as nobody looked too closely, it worked well enough. They had to move slowly to avoid drawing attention to themselves, but it seemed that the majority of the city's inhabitants were more focused on the torturous activities taking place throughout the city than anything else. It made their trip easier, but the way many of the men and women acted was unsettling to Beth. These were the people that she'd sworn to protect long ago, but now they followed the laws of a sociopath. She had to wonder if they did so out of fear, or if it was because they enjoyed these depraved acts.

"There's no way of knowing for certain, Kitten," Pam whispered as they neared the Westside of the city.

Beth glanced over at her, surprised for a second. She frowned as she said, "Mind reading isn't fair."

"I don't play fair, you know this," Pam said with a smirk, "I worry about you, and I can sense your unease and anxiety amidst the fear and lust that hangs in the air. Every person has the potential for cruelty and evil in their hearts. Whether those traits are brought out by fear, acceptance, desperation, or something else is a mystery."

"I just can't believe this is the same place I fought for," Beth said, sadly, "This feels like something out of a nightmare. All these people, they're just giving into what Goth wants."

"I'll remind you that you were considering doing just that, love," Pam said, "Rebecca has a way of manipulating people, good and bad. Fear is a powerful tool, but when combined with a charismatic personality, it becomes even stronger. While we were battling the hordes of Hell, she was closing the doorways here and saving these people. I'm afraid it is the curse of the unsung heroes. They saw what she could do, and when she proclaimed herself as a savior, she had the deeds to back up that claim."

"I guess that's a fair point," Beth said before asking, "We are making the right choice, aren't we?"

"Right and wrong are subjective, Kitten, but I believe we are doing what needs to be done," Pam replied, "For every soul that is delighting in all of this, there are three more who live in fear and contempt. I'm not sure when I started to care about others, but I suppose that comes from being with someone like you. Between Jake and yourself, you have a way of rubbing off on people. I admit, it's a shame that Rebecca couldn't be redeemed. She was my friend as well as teacher, and I had hoped that she would have used her second chance to build a life beyond the realm of tyranny that she is so accustomed to."

"Did you really think there was good in her?" Beth asked as they rounded the last corner.

"Just as there is the potential for evil in all hearts, there is also good within everyone," Pam replied solemnly, "I am afraid that the demonic influence from Lilith's powers have proven too much for her."

"What do you mean?" Beth asked.

"I've told you the story about how Rebecca gained her powers, yes?" Pam asked and Beth nodded, "I warned Jake when he made that deal with her that pacts such as those are not to be taken lightly. In magic, it is not uncommon for one to use such means to bridge a gap in power, but it comes at a cost. Rebecca knew this, even back then, so she found a way to steal Lilith's powers for herself. It circumvented and broke the pact, but in doing so she took in the powers of a purebred Archlord demon. Her abilities were amplified beyond belief, but this is also what caused her mind to shift to such horrible and gruesome cruelty."

"You saw what the demons are like in Hell. Imagine taking in the power and personality of such monsters, and think about the toll it would take on your mind and soul. Even the most powerful person would eventually succumb to the influence of such a taxing existence. Rebecca has lived for centuries, and because of this her mind has been eroded. I saw glimpses of her humanity while she was without her powers, but the influence was still there. I could feel her remorse for brief moments when I confronted her about Ashley, but it was fleeting at best. I can't even begin to fathom what it must be like in her head. I'm willing to bet that it's only gotten worse since she regained her strength."

"Jeez, I almost feel bad for her when you put it like that," Beth said, "She sounds more like a victim than the monster that I've been seeing her as."

"In many ways, she is both," Pam said.

"I'm gonna need you to start elaborating a little more," Beth said, "You know I don't understand all this stuff. I've read up on theories, but I can only do so much before my head starts to hurt."

Pam smiled and fought the urge to take Beth's hand. Anything out of the ordinary had the potential to draw unnecessary attention to them, and that was something neither could afford. "Let me try to explain," she began, "While she was without her powers, her humanity was given free reign. Hence why Jake continued to give her the benefit of the doubt. The demonic influence was still there, but the roles had been reversed. Whereas before, her humanity was stifled and locked away, at that time, said influence was muted. The struggle for control of her mind was once again one-sided, but after she regained her powers that struggle turned into a stalemate. I doubt she even realized it at the time, but with influx of power she's taken from Hell, it's a safe bet that those two sides are stronger than ever. I believe there is a passage within the Bible that says something to the effect of: For I know that goodness itself does not dwell within me, for I have rhe desire to do what is right, but my sinful nature prevents me from doing it."

"Didn't peg you for the religious type," Beth said, "Being a witch and a lesbian and all that."

"Ignoring that disrespectful remark," Pam said, resisting the urge to give her Beth's backside a swat, "I'm not religious, but that doesn't mean I'm not well-read. There are passages that hold a degree of truth to them, though. Rebecca herself has taken and twisted passages for her own scripture. That one in particular holds quite a bit of weight. Let me put this in small simple words for you, dear. The human part of her cries out in remorse and angst, fighting to get her to stop. The side of her that is affected by Lilith's powers, though, continues to drive her down the path that she's on."

"You don't have to be an ass," Beth huffed, crossing her arms.

"Neither do you," Pam countered before sighing, "There's no need to pout."

"I thought you said it was cute when I did," Beth said.

Pam rolled her eyes, but she smiled as she said, "I did and it is, but we don't have time for me to play with you right now."

Beth uncrossed her arms and said, "So let me see if I got this or not. Because she lost her powers, then got them back, then started using that Well thing down in Hell, her mind is somehow more messed up than ever."

"Potentially," Pam answered, "I'd wager that her mind is quite possibly fractured from the stress of having two entities vying for control of it."

"Fucking hell," Beth sighed.

The pair walked the rest of the way in silence. They saw the clocktower on the horizon. A statue of Jake in his Raven suit stood adjacent to the tower, and Beth shook her head at it. If her friend was already in the spotlight before all of this, it was going to get much worse once this blew over. Assuming they could actually pull it off. "Stat close to me," Pam said as they approached, "It appears that this place may not be as safe as we thought. Hold your tongue and let me talk."

"Yes ma'am," Beth said, spotting the guard posted in front of the clocktower.

A woman, clad in purple and black robes over an odd breastplate, stood at the entrance to the clocktower with a spear in her hand. Beth fell back behind Pam while keeping step with her. The woman narrowed her eyes, puffed out her chest, and stepped forward, "Halt citizens. What business do you have here?"

"My pet and I were merely admiring the scenery, I was unaware that the Goddess had decrees that to be a crime," Pam replied, continuing forward, "I'd heard that this tower was one of this city's oldest landmarks, and being from Citiville, I thought I would see it for myself. Be a dear and step aside, girl."

"This area is off limits, girl," the woman said, "There is nothing to see here, and you would do well to move along."

"What a pity," Pam sighed, "I had so hoped to be able to see the interior for myself. Do yourself a favor, little girl, and get out of my way. I go where I please, and I have my heart set on this place. Move, now, or be moved."

"Subtle, and yet you told me to keep my mouth shut," Beth grumbled.

"I am a soldier of our Goddess," the guard said, standing her ground, "If you think that I'm afraid of someone like you, then you are sorely mistaken."

"Listen, girl," Pam said, growing frustrated, "I know more about your Goddess than you can imagine. I have seen cruelty the likes of which you can only imagine, and I am not someone that you should test. You are trying my patience, little girl, and I will not tell you again: move or be moved."

"Charity!" another girl's voice exclaimed, "Stand down, I think those are two of the three we've been waiting on."

"Huh?" the girl said as she gave Pam a hard look and the color drained from her face, "Shit! Oh my God, I am so sorry!"

"Uh, what's going on?" Beth asked Pam.

"I'm not sure," Pam replied.

"Please don't kill me," the girl said, dropping her aggressive demeanor, "I was only following orders, and I've never actually seen either of you. You're Pam Lavely and Beth Thompson, right?"

"We are," Pam answered, "What is this about?"

"Long story, but I can't explain it out here," the girl said as she looked around, "My name is Charity, and the girl behind me is Avery. If you'll follow Avery inside, she can give you the rundown on everything. Again, I am so sorry about the mixup."

Pam exchanged a look with Beth who shrugged in response. "Alright," she said, "Come along, Kitten. Let's see what this is about."

Beth followed behind Pam towards the other girl dressed as a guard. She held the door open for the two of them before leading them up the rickety old stairwell. She spoke without turning around, "Sorry again about the confusion. Charity and I are undercover in Goth's little circus. We actually got stationed in this part of town, and our actual job is to keep civilians and other members of Goth's army out of this place. Jay's told us that you two might be coming by, but we've never actually seen pictures of either of you. All we knew was that you, Pam, were a magic user, and that Beth was the gun toting firecracker known as The Feral, that and that the two of you were a couple."

"Your friend is lucky you came along when you did," Beth said, "Pam's already skewered one of Goth's guards, and I was pretty sure she was about to do the same to that Charity chick."

"Heh, yeah we heard about that," Avery said, laughing nervously, "You're, uh, really not big on patience, are you?"

"She's put up with me, trained me, and stuck by me, so she's got more patience than most," Beth answered, "She's just not big on bullshit, and neither of us are particularly thrilled with coming back to our home being turned into whatever this shit is."

"Elegantly put, Kitten," Pam said.

"Right, my mistake," Avery said, "I'm guessing you two are here because of the note that Jay left."

"You're referring to Jason, correct?" Pam asked.

"That's the one," Avery said, "He put together this whole operation, and I'll go ahead and warn the two of you, the group is probably not what you're expecting. I've lived in this city all my life, and if you'd have told me that the people who used to terrorize my home would be fighting to save it one day, I'd have laughed out loud."

"Great, more people I've put in jail or threatened to kill," Beth sighed, "Who all are we talking about?"

"It's better if you see for yourself, but for the most part, there shouldn't be too much bad blood that'll get in the way of the goal," Avery replied, "After all, if Goth wins and takes control, then none of these people will be able to do anything but submit."

"She has a point, Kitten," Pam said, "And if anyone chooses to step out of line, I'll deal with them myself. No one will lay a finger on you unless I say otherwise."

"You're, uh, really sure of yourself, aren't you?" Avery said, her nervous laughter returning, "Anyone ever tell you that you're kind of...intimidating?"

"Yes, I've told her that like a bazillion times," Beth said.

"Hush, it's not my fault that I am the way that I am," Pam said.

"Wouldn't have you any other way," Beth said, "Dark, creepy, intimidating."

"Are you complimenting me or insulting me?" Pam asked.

"Both?" Beth replied with an upward inflection.

"Do you mind if I ask you two something?" Avery asked.

"Considering you just did, I don't suppose there's a problem with it," Pam answered.

"Ignore her," Beth said with a roll of her eyes, "She's just a little on edge."

"Right, well I heard that the two of you were in a D and S relationship," Avery started, "I can gather that Pam's the dominant, but I haven't seen many subs that act like you, Beth. You don't go around calling her mistress or whatever, you poke fun at her, and you're way more outspoken than most of the subs and slaves I've seen. I'm just wondering what the deal is between you two. Was I misinformed?"

"Don't call me a slave," Beth said, her tone losing all levity, "I hate that fucking term."

"Pardon, her aggressiveness, Avery," Pam said, "That term is a trigger for my little pet, but she's right that she isn't a slave. Beth is my pet, my submissive little girlfriend. She's devoted to me, and I to her. She knows her place, but I'm not one to stifle someone's personality, at least not anymore."

"Would you stop calling me little?" Beth asked, "Not my fault I'm short, but I still managed to kick your ass back at the cabin."

"I was nowhere near as strong then, Kitten," Pam remarked, "If you'll recall, I've bested you in our sparring matches time and again since then."

"Well now I've got this magic sword thing," Beth said.

"Articulate as ever, love," Pam said with a roll of her eyes.

"You two are something else," Avery said with a smile.

"So we've been told," Pam said.

"I guess the answer to your question is that I know my role and stay in my lane," Beth said, "She calls the shots, and I do my best to carry out her will and anticipate her wants and needs. In return, she takes care of me, helps me grow, and gives me a rock to hold onto. I love her and I trust her."

"You two are cute," Avery said as they reached the top of the clocktower, "Alright, through this door is the only resistance left to Goth beyond the Children of Darkness. Jay only has one rule: no infighting. Please, try not to get into a fight. I'm not gonna jump in to break it up, but we really can't afford to lose any of our members. We're spread thin as it is."

"I think we can manage that," Pam said, "Thank you, Avery, and tell your friend that I'm sorry for scaring her."

"Actually, I think I won't," Avery said, "Charity might start trying to mess with you if I do that, and I'd rather her not get on your bad side."

"Smart girl," Pam said with a smile, "Perhaps when this is over I could teach you a few things."

"Standing right here," Beth said, "I'd appreciate it if you didn't flirt with other girls while I'm around."

"I'm not, Kitten," Pam sighed, "I meant, teach her some spells and incantations. Honestly, you're so insecure sometimes."

"Am not," Beth huffed.

"Okay, I'm gonna leave you two to it," Avery said, trying to suppress her laughter.

The girl walked past them, and left the pair in front of the old wooden door. With a deep breath, they pushed open the door and stepped into the base of the resistance. Dusty wooden floors, makeshift furniture, and scavenged supplies were the first thing that they noticed. The second was a pungent aroma that seemed to fill the air. Evidently, showers weren't something that these people had access to. Beth heard the hammer of a pistol cock upon entering, and she instinctively drew her own. She dropped it after a second when she saw two familiar faces. Her aunt and Jake's half sister stood with their guns drawn at them, but they quickly lowered them.

"Beth!' Sally exclaimed, "Fucking shit, I am glad to see you! Looks like you managed to patch things up with your girlfriend too, gotta say that's a relief. We ain't got enough whiskey to get you through another sulk fest."

"Shut up," Beth said as she relaxed, "Good to see you two, though. I was a little worried that you two might have gotten killed or brainwashed by that psycho."

"Nice to see you again, Sally," Pam said, evenly before looking over at Sam, "You as well, Samantha. I see you're still afraid of me."

"I keep telling you that you're intimidating," Beth said, "It's alright, Sammie, I promise she doesn't bite."

"Not other girls, anyway," Pam said, earning a blush from Beth.

Sam stepped forward and holstered her gun, "It's still weird that you're a lesbian now," she said as she stepped towards Beth, "Still, I'm glad you're in better spirits. Have you...have you seen Jake?"

"Fuck you," Beth said.

"He's fine, Samantha, or at least as well as he can be given the situation at hand," Pam answered.

"Birdboy ever grow a backbone, or is he still cowering whenever Goth is around?" Sally asked.

"I assure you, no one here is as ready to fight her as he is," Pam replied, "He's changed a great deal from the last time you two saw him. Where is-"

"Oh my God!" Pam stopped when heard a familiar voice, "You two are alive! I knew it!"

Pam turned and smiled at the familiar face of Zoey, "Here is someone I wasn't expecting to see. I'd have thought someone of your caliber would have jumped at Rebecca's new order."

Zoey walked out from behind a series of computers and scoffed, "As if. That woman makes a mockery of BDSM, and I for one, will not be party to her atrocities. You two, on the other hand, are a wonderful embodiment of what the lifestyle can bring about. I've been trying to convince Samantha here to let me educate her on just how fun and enlightening the experience can be."

"Is that right?" Beth asked, turning to face Sammie who began blushing furiously.

Pam smirked at the wave of mixed emotions rolling off of Sammie, "I think that whatever you're doing is working, Zoey. Samantha, you'd do well to listen to a woman such as this. I think you'll find it to be a rewarding experience."

"Would you two knock it off?!" Sammie asked.

"Samantha, what have I told you about raising your voice?" Zoey asked, earning a slight jump from the girl.

"That it's rude," Sammie murmured.

"Okay, that's enough of that for now," Sally said, "We make it out of this shit show alive, and you two can tease her all you want. We got bigger problems right now."

"Fair enough," Beth said before adding, "Still, I don't want to hear shit about me being with Pam from you, Sammie."

"Fuck off," Sammie said, flipping Beth off.

"Samantha!" Zoey exclaimed in a tone that made both girls tense up, "Apologize to our guests, now."

Sammie bit her lip, looked at the ground, and shuffled her feet as she mumbled, "Sorry."

"Good girl," Zoey said as she walked forward and shifted her demeanor, "So, I'm assuming that you two aren't here on a social call, given the nature of what you two do. Jason is taking a short rest with Kait, but Alexis should be around here somewhere."

"Somebody mention greatness?" Alexis' voice called out as she dropped from a rafter.

"What were you even doing up there?" Sally asked.

"Running some new wiring and working on a sky lab, duh," Alexis replied as if it were obvious before spotting Beth and Pam and tackling the two of them, "Kitty-Cat, Pammy! I have been bored out of my mind waiting for you two!"

"Fucking basket case," Sally grumbled, "Get off of them, dumbass."

"Smarter than you, frumpy," Alexis shouted as she reluctantly removed herself from the two women, "Where is Jake?"

"He's preoccupied at the moment, but he will meet up with us soon enough," Pam said as she pushed herself up.

"How did you get out of Hell?" Beth asked.

"A magician never reveals her secrets!" Alexis proclaimed, "Right, Pammy?"

"I am not-" Pam started before sighing, "Alexis, you're well aware of the fact that I'm a sorceress."

"Magician sounds better," Alexis countered.

"Seriously, how did you get out?" Beth asked, "I thought that all the portals had been closed."

"The all powerful Goddess of stupidity, in all her arrogance, left her portal open longer than she meant to," Alexis replied, "Everyone felt it when she came through to get you three. As much as I hate her, her energy is almost the exact same as an Archlord, but it's got undertones of a human. Everyone felt when Dorothy bit it, and as soon that wave of energy rushed out of her, I booked it down to the lower levels. You should see what the Well looks like now. It's gone from green to purple, and it looks like something out of a science fiction or fantasy movie! Wavy magicy fields of energy have sprung up around it to make some kind of barrier. It looks like a filtration system, and I'll give you one guess as to where those souls are going."

"Goth," Beth said and Alexis nodded.

"Then this is worse than I thought," Pam said, beginning to pace while she thought aloud, "That level of energy and power will make her into what she claims to be: a Goddess. The problem, outside of her demented plans, is that it's going to feed into the demonic side of her. If we thought she was a monster before, then now she will truly become just that. She'll ascend to a higher being, one with nothing but evil corrupting her mind and heart."

"Bingo," Alexis said, "That sort of necrotic and tainted energy is only going to make her that much stronger and way more crazy. I'm surprised that she hasn't already laid waste to the city to find you guys and Jake."

"She's sticking to her time frame," Beth said.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Sammie asked.

"She gave us seventy-two hours to decide if we would join her or not," Beth explained, "If we do, then she makes us into high ranking officials in her new order. If we don't, then...well, I'm not sure if I want to know what she has planned."

"You aren't considering it, are you?" Sally asked.

"Of course they're not," a raspy voice called out, "If they were, they wouldn't be here."

Beth and Pam turned around to see a man, roughly Jake's size, wearing a long and tattered coat and bandages covering his face walk out of a small side room. Beth tensed as she saw the familiar face of one her and Jake's old enemies trailing behind him: Kaitlyn the Conqueror herself. She glared at the large Amazonian woman and clenched her fists, "You, what are you doing here?"

"Awe, is my old enemy still afraid of women of power?" Kaitlyn mocked, "I'd have thought you'd have gotten over that after you bowed before your mistress."

Beth had her pistol in her hand and trained on Kaitlyn's head before anyone could speak. "Want to try mocking me with a bullet in that thick skull?" she asked.

"You wouldn't dare, little girl," Kaitlyn growled, "If you miss, then I'll have you on the ground begging for mercy. If you think your girlfriend is rough, maybe I ought to remind you of what happens when you mess with me."

Pam stepped forward, a cold chill rolling off of her as she glared at Kaitlyn, "Touch her, and I'll show the true meaning of fear."

"Two for the price of one, I do love a good bargain," Kaitlyn chided, "Why don't we see if you two are as good as the rumors say?"

"Alright, damnit, that's enough!" Jason growled, "Beth, lower your weapon. Kait, stand down. We're in this shit together, like it or not."

Kaitlyn looked over at Jason before crossing her arms, looking away, and huffing, "Fine, but you owe me for this."

"Kait?" Beth asked, "Since when do you let anyone shorten your dumbass name."

"Since I choose to, Kitten," Kait snapped, emphasizing her pet name.

"Oh shit," Alexis said, stepping back.

Pam took another step forward, her aura flaring outward, "You do not get to call her that!" she barked, "She is mine, and I don't give a damn what side you're on, I will break you if you disrespect her in front of me!"

"Alright, alright, everyone calm the fuck down!" Jason snapped, "Pam, I don't need you and Beth starting a war inside of the only resistance this world has left. Kait, please, don't antagonize them. We have got to work together to get through this."

"Fine," Kait sighed.

"Whatever," Beth said, "As long as she doesn't start shit, I'll be fine."

"Fucking hell, I'm not sure which will be the death of me first, Rebecca and her bullshit or this bunch of misfits," Jason grumbled, "That's going to have to be good enough for now."

Pam relaxed and nodded at Jason, "It's good to see you again, Jason."

"Wish it were under better circumstances, but then if it were we wouldn't be seeing each other," he replied, "Where's your resident coward?"

"If you're referring to Jake, he's out on an equipment run," Beth said, glaring at him for insulting her friend, "Can't very well take on Goth with his bare hands, can he?"

"I'm surprised he's even considering fighting," Jason remarked, "Usually he leaves people to their fates when it comes to her, that or he gives her whatever she wants."

"What was that?" Beth snapped, "I don't know who you think you are, but Jake has fought for this city time and again more than anyone! He doesn't abandon people."

"Tell that to the scars on my body, Beth," Jason replied, "It's because he chose to avoid fighting Goth that I lost more of my life than you could count. He's not a hero, not in my book, but we still need his help for what we have planned."

"Better be more than hiding out in this old place," Beth muttered before glaring at him, "You have no idea what he's been through."

"And you can't even begin to imagine what I've been through," Jason snapped, "While the two of you were out galavanting around this city playing make believe, I was trapped in a nightmare because I look like that fool! Seeing, feeling, hearing every fucking thing that witch did to me and to others while being unable to do anything about it! I spent years under her control, and even in the end I still wasn't numb to those awful events. Then, when she finally got what she wanted, she threw me away. She gave me as a gift to that monster Aurora."

"Jason," Kait said, stepping towards him and putting a hand on his shoulder, "That's over now. Remember, you're free from her."

He'd started to shake from the anger he'd felt, but Beth watched closely as his breathing returned to normal upon Kait touching him. "I'm disfigured, undead, and stuck in a nightmare," he said, "But you're right, that time in my life is done. What's important is making sure that nobody else has to suffer like I did."

"So what's your plan, Jason?" Pam asked, trying to redirect the conversation towards a more productive subject.

"I'll tell you, but first you two need to put aside any morale prejudices you might have," he said.

"I think we put those away a while ago," Beth said.

"We'll see about that, hero girl," Jason said as he walked over to the table in the center of the room, "We've got a small force already, but we're going to need some additional muscle to get us through. We've been doing some digging, and I think that we've found just the person to help with that: Havoc."

"Are you out of your fucking mind?!" Beth demanded, "Nevermind the fact that she's a fucking sociopath on the same level as Goth, she is a literal biohazard who cannot be controlled!"

"Everyone has something to lose, pipsqueak," Kait said, "Havoc is a flight risk, yeah I'll grant you that, but these are desperate times. She wants to cause mayhem, last I checked, and she's the perfect distraction while we infiltrate Goth's fortress. You got a better idea?"

"You are talking about releasing one of the strongest and foulest women on the planet," Beth argued, "What makes you think that she won't turn on you the second she's released?!"

"I had access to several files on the criminals in this city, and the last update on Havoc was that she was having some kind of breakthrough before everything went to shit from Rebecca," Jason explained, "She is chaotic, sadistic, and powerful, but she could also be an asset to us. It's a chance that we are going to have to take."

"You are out of your fucking minds!" Beth exclaimed, "How do you even plan on getting her out? She's in the lower levels of the Blackridge Penitentiary in a special cell designed to be able to contain her strength and resist her odorous abilities. What's your plan for that, genius?"

"Glad you asked," Jason said, smirking behind his bandages, "I'll let Zoey and Alexis explain this portion of our little plan."

"Okay, so I've been working around the clock to try to decode the security systems," Zoey said, "I've managed to gain access to the cameras, but that's all I can break into. The good news is that the prison is abandoned with hardly anyone in it, but the bad news is that the automated security systems are all still in working order. When the invasion happened, most of the prisoners were able to escape due to a city wide power outage, but Havoc's cell is on its own power supply. Her door needs an override code from the warden's office, or-"

"The code from the company that made the cell," Beth finished.

"Precisely," Zoey said, "So we have three options. One, the team we send in can infiltrate and steal the code from the warden's office. Two, we get the code from Jake, arguably the easiest option, but since he's not here it doesn't seem possible. For the third option, I'll hand it over to Alexis."

"Huh?" Alexis said before shaking her head, "Right, yeah, sorry I got bored. I've been toying with a new corrosive chemical that can eat through anything. I was going to use it to melt through the vaults at the banks, but then I kind of got murdered. I can make the solution pretty easily, but I'm missing some of the components from it. Luckily, the compounds I need are in the prison laundry room. They buy this shit in bulk because it's cheaper, but those idiots never considered what other things can be done with it. Even if we don't go with using it to break Havoc out, I think it's still worth collecting the ingredients. The possibilities of what can be done with this concoction are almost limitless."

"Okay, so who do you have in mind for the team?" Beth asked.

"Well, seeing as how you're so worried about Havoc, you'll be going with the others," Jason said, "Kait has agreed to go, Alexis seems hellbent on getting the chemicals, and your talents could prove useful. Ordinarily, we would send Sammie and Sally to get the three of you there, but something tells me that Pam is going to accompany you. Given her means of getting around, I think it's safe to assume transport won't be necessary."

"If the witch is going, why not have her just phase in and grab Havoc?" Kait asked.

"I have a name, you overgrown lumix," Pam spat.

"Whatever, just answer the question," Kait said.

"That wouldn't work," Beth said, "After the rise of magic based criminals, Jake started utilizing metals that neutralize magic in higher level security areas. It's not all through the prison, but each cell has a specific piece in it that nullifies magic in case any of you douchebags decided to team up with a magic user."

"How on earth did he manage to come up with that?" Pam asked, genuinely surprised, "It is a fact that such things exist, but that seems out of the realm of possibility that he and his company would even consider that."

"When Emily Brunswick disappeared, Jake's company seized the bulk of their research and projects," Jason answered, "If I had to guess, I would say that Emily most likely had her team working on such things. A good portion of their R&D was shadowy at best. There's no telling what kinds of secrets Jake has under his nose that he isn't even remotely aware of."

"I see," Pam said, "It begs the question of why they were looking into these things."

"One four hundred pound gorilla at a time, Pam," Jason said, "We have to deal with Rebecca first, then you can worry about that."

"I still think this is a dumbass plan, but I'll admit that we are low on options," Beth said, "Pam said you were the one who gave her the guns back in Ravenfalls. For your sake, I hope you've got some ammunition and maybe some more firepower."

"Now you're speaking my language," Jason said with a raspy laugh, "Step into my office. I'm sure that I have a few things you could put to good use. Kait, Alexis, get ready for transport. Zoey, log back into the surveillance systems. We need you to be the eyes for our team on the inside."

"You got it, boss," Zoey said.

"Great, a has-been hero, a nut job, and a witch," Kait grumbled, "I'll start grabbing my equipment."

"This is gonna be so much fun!" Alexis cheered, "We can bond, maybe kill a few people, and then we can get back and I'll make waffles!"

"You are so fucking weird," Kait sighed, "Nobody wants any of your shit cooking, Alexis."

"Don't be a bitch," Alexis pouted, "We're gonna be best friends after this!"

Jason led Beth off the side room that he'd converted into a small armory and mumbled, "It'll be a miracle if you all make it back. I'm half expecting one of you to kill her.

Pam watched as everyone went their separate ways before calling out, "I'll be on the roof when you three are ready. We don't have much time before Rebecca mobilizes her troops, so be quick and meet me up there."

A grunt from Kait was all she received and a patronizing, "Sir yes sir!" from Alexis.

She knew Beth had heard her, but she was preoccupied discussing guns with Jason. She went to make her way to the roof when Sally stopped her, "You're gonna bring those three back safe, right?"

"You have my word, Sally," she replied, "It's almost touching how much you seem to care about your niece."

"Don't go sayin' that shit too loud," Sally said, "I got enough problems without people thinking I'm a softie. Still, and I am only sayin' this once, you four better come back safe and with that big bitch."

Pam nodded and continued towards the ladder to the top of the tower. Once she was alone, she pulled out the communication stone and opened the link to Jake, "Jake, we've managed to meet up with the resistance. Jason, Kaitlyn, Alexis, Sally, Sammie, and a handful of others are all that are here. They've given us a job to break Havoc out and get her on our side."

It took a moment before he responded, "This is weird and feels invasive. Wait, Kaitlyn is working with the resistance?"

Pam rolled her eyes as she thought back, "Between you and Beth, I feel like I'm dealing with children sometimes. It is a simple telepathic link for communication. It's not like I can see what's going on in that perverted little head of yours. Yes, Kaitlyn the Conqueror herself is indeed working with them. Jason seems to be leading the operation, but he still seems pretty upset with you for leaving him with Rebecca for as long as you did. He's expecting you to run back to her or to run away all together."

Another few seconds passed before his response came through, "There is nothing perverted in my head, but that doesn't make this any less weird! You're more of a perv than me, anyways!"

"Is this really what you want to spend your time doing?" she asked through their link.

"Fine, fine," his response came through, quicker than the first two, "So Jason is still pissed, can't say I blame him. He's going to be in for a big surprise, though. Okay, so you've got a feel for the resistance, but why are they wanting to get Havoc involved? That seems like a way to cause a lot of collateral damage."

"I think that's the point," she thought back, "From what I know about Havoc, they're planning on using her as a distraction to keep Rebecca occupied, or at least use her to break down some of her forces. Beth isn't thrilled about it, but given the limited resources they have, it does seem to be as good a plan as any. It's not like ours is much better."

His responses began coming through at a much quicker rate. It was impressive how quickly he seemed to take to the method of communicating. "It's not great, but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. So, she's in the lowest level of Blackridge Penitentiary. Her cell was specially designed to keep her and her powers contained. I wrote the code to that door myself. There should be-"

"Jake, we are well aware of this," she thought back, cutting him off, "The code to the door will be in the warden's office. I need to know if you remember the override code or not, and I'd also like to mention that Rebecca has yet to make a move towards us."

"I can't remember it off the top of my head," he replied before going silent for a moment, "She said seventy-two hours for you and Beth to accept her offer. Knowing her, she's probably planning something big for when that time is up. Watch yourselves out there, I'm sure she has people watching for you two. I'm at the company warehouse now, and I'll be in touch as soon as I have what I need. Contact me if you need anything."

"Understood, be careful, Jake," she replied before severing the link.

She knew he was most likely right, she and Beth had thought the same thing. The question was: how big was Rebecca going to go? Time was of the essence, and she was relieved when Beth, Kait, and Alexis stepped out onto the roof. She could see Beth was well armed with grenades, an SMG of some sort, and a bandolier of bullets across her chest. "Sorry to keep you waiting," Beth said.

"You're fine, Kitten," she said as she held out her hand, "Join hands, you three, this is going to be a quick jump. Whatever happens, don't let go of each other."

"I don't like the sound of this," Kait said.

Alexis practically skipped over to Pam and grabbed one of her hands. She held out her hand to Kait and said, "Don't be a scaredy-cat. This is going to be awesome!"

Beth took Pam's other hand and held hers out to Kait, "Fair warning, this shit is rough the first time through," she said, "I threw up the first time she did this."

"Don't be dramatic," Pam said, "It's not that bad."

"Yes it is," Beth argued before looking at Kait, "It'll be over before you know it. Like it or not, we're in this together."

Kait growled as she snatched Beth and Alexis' hands, "Fine, but no funny business."

The shadows swirled around them as Pam fixated on their destination. They fell into the darkness just as Pam said, "Hold on tight, girls."





© Copyright 2022 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032271-Chapter-3