*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1034180
Rated: GC · Book · Contest Entry · #2275375
Where music moves me. Here are my stories. Album #3
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1034180 added June 30, 2022 at 8:24pm
Restrictions: None
Hotel California
Hotel California


The lobby looked just like the brochure. All marble and spacious and went three stories up. The staff was very courteous. The valet took Angel's bags after she checked in. Hotel California was all-inclusive. She had to liquidate everything to get a suite. She signed all the paperwork quickly and smiled at the host behind the desk. The line behind her at the desk was quite long.

"We're so glad you're here. If there's anything we can do for you, let us know." Angel couldn't tell if it was a bot or an actual human. They were so well made a person couldn't tell.

The valet guided her to the elevator tube. "You are on the 142nd floor. Your upgraded suite has a view of our beautiful greenhouse spa area. The oxygen content is very healthful." He opened the room and gave Angel a quick tour. He showed her how all the touchpads work and the small handheld she could take with her to find her way around the hotel.

"If you need anything, press the blue button and you will get immediate assistance." He handed her a clear tube of liquid. "This drink will help you sleep and adjust to the environment here. When you wake, feel free to come down to the dining room and join your fellow guests."

She unpacked and hung all her clothes in the walk-in closet. She slipped on some silk pajamas and crawled into the king bed. The pillows felt cool and comfortable. She jolted and walked back to the lounge. She found the test tube of liquid and drank it. She was feeling very sleepy by the time she got back in bed.

She woke later, not knowing how much time passed but felt very refreshed. She took her time showering and dressing for dinner. She wanted to make a good first impression. Taking her handheld, she follow the arrows as they came up on the screen and found the elevators quite quickly.

Dinner was a sumptuous affair, with many courses and tastings of lots of exotic foods. Her dinner companions were all very nice and the conversations were very entertaining. She felt right at home with them. Apparently every week she would be seated with a new group so she could meet more people.

After dinner, a band played and there was dancing. Angel had such a good time, but nearing midnight, she was getting very tired and excused herself for the night.

This went on and on, the hotel had tons of activities and her evenings were very entertaining. There were all kinds of exercise classes, craft classes, and book discussions to attend. She never felt lonely. After a few months though, she got tired of doing the same activities, the same people, the same room.

She spoke to her valet about it. "Daniel, how do I check out on this handheld? There doesn't seem to be a page for it."

Daniel stiffened and turned to restock her bar refrigerator. "I don't believe you can, Ma'am."

"Oh, I'll go down to the desk, then."

Later she stopped at the desk to discuss her departure. The front desk clerk was very attentive.

"Yes, I need to arrange my check-out." Angel looked at her handheld. "I'm in 142-12."

"That's unfortunate, Ma'am. Are you unhappy with your accommodations?

"No, I think I need a change of scenery."

"Have you been to the beach zone? Perhaps I can place you in a room there." The clerk clicked some keys and looked up at Angel. "We can have you moved there tomorrow morning if that suits you."

"No. I'm going to find another hotel."

"I don't think you read your contract Ma'am." He looked sympathetic and Angel thought she saw a sliver of fear pass across his eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

What does that even mean? "I can't leave? I can certainly walk out this door any time I like."

"Yes, Ma'am. That's true. But you won't survive."

Icy shock raced through her body. She pointed at the lobby doors. "Those doors, right there."

"That's for inbound guests only Ma'am."

"I'll be back in the morning to speak to the manager." She huffed.

"As you wish, Ma'am."

Angel got back to her room and pulled out the folder with the extensive contract bound inside. She bit her lip as she read further into the content. Then tears ran down her face as she got to the final chapters of the contract.

The guest shall not be able to leave the capsule until it is determined that the planet the guest has left has better accommodations than what the hotel can provide. If the guest chooses to check out of the hotel, they will be put in stasis and stored at the hotel. The guest acknowledges that trying to exit the hotel will result in immediate death in space.


Well...damn.



Word count - 829

Lyrics

© Copyright 2022 Legerdemain (UN: legerdemain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Legerdemain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1034180