*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037594-Pro-Coding-Tips
Rated: E · Book · How-To/Advice · #2278979
Big Book of WDC Pro-Tips.
#1037594 added September 10, 2022 at 4:55pm
Restrictions: None
Pro Coding Tips
image for book project

Link To Original Post


PRO TIP: Use the List /List ML Code to Number Items


Yes, it's been a while since I've posted a Pro Tip. Sorry about that.

To number a list, use the ML code 1 and

{ list } (don't add the extra spaces when you do it)
{ huser :schnujo}
{ huser: wordgeek}
{ huser: tblakely5}
{ /list }

Appears as...

1 Schnujo is Late to Lannister
2 workgeek
3 LegendaryMask❤️

If you are annoyed that you are getting too much space above and below the list, just put the 1st and last names on the same line with List and /List or take out the blank like you would normally include. In the 4, 5, 6 example below, I didn't take out the extra blank as I did above so you can see how much more space there is because I put List and /List on their own line. *Wink*

If you are needing multiple lists on the same page, such as for different raffle packages, name each list something different and include that in both the beginning and ending tag. Otherwise, the numbers will continue on. In this example, I might name the different lists Pack1, Pack2, Pack3 to keep them all separated.

{ list:Pack1 } (don't add the extra spaces)
{huser: lilli_in_fl}
{huser: webwitch}
{huser: purplesunday}
{/list:Pack1}

This is what it looks like if I just use List and /List but don't differentiate them from the one above with a specific name such as Pack1 (for Raffle Package 1).


4 Lilli 🧿 ☕
5 Ԝ€ß☆ԜiʈCH
6 Choconut ~ House Targaryen


Though I used /List above to end the previous list, the numbers continued. This could be helpful in some situations, but not so much in the common WdC raffle. *Wink*

Finally, they can be used inside of dropnotes. Here is an example of that.

Package 2 Ticket Holders ▼

Here's the code for the above example.

{dropnote: "Package 2 Ticket Holders"} (Don't add the extra spaces)

1 {huser: brennus}
2 {huser: luriepark}
3 {huser: sunnie}



Note that I had to call these Pack2 or the numbers would have continued from Pack1.



image for projects
Link To Original Post

Pro Tip: Read Email Code to Learn New Tricks
WdC uses ML code. When you see code in an email and you want to know how to do it, just slide down to the reply box and scroll through the original email to view the code. *Geek*

Fun Fact: The "ML" in "ML code" stands for Markup Language, same as the ML in HTML, XML, etc.

For some boring (to me) information about ML code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markup_language

We use Markup Language code here. SM (StoryMaster, the site owner) uses both Programming and Scripting language code when creating new things on WdC. WdC is made up of mostly PHP and JavaScript.

Want to know more about the differences between Markup, Scripting, and Programming languages? Here's something a little less boring than the link above. *Laugh*
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-programming-scripting-and-marku...

Fun Fact: When we write ML code, we use what we, in the US, call braces. They are also called "curly braces" or "curly brackets" in the US. According to several websites I read, these are called "curly brackets" in Great Britain. "Brackets" (without the word "curly") refer to what the US calls "parentheses." ( ) They also call them that on the other side of the pond, but it's considered a more formal word for them...or so I understand, though I have not confirmed any of this with of our British members. *Wink*



For those who are confused, the main point of this Pro Tip is: Learn new code by looking in the Reply section of emails sent to you. *BigSmile*

The rest was just for folks who wanted to know more. *Wink*

© Copyright 2022 Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love (UN: wordgeek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037594-Pro-Coding-Tips