*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038681-Day-6---General-Theme
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #2281958
To keep all documents relating to the October Preparation Challenge for NaNoWriMo
#1038681 added October 5, 2022 at 12:33pm
Restrictions: None
Day 6 - General: Theme
The theme of the story is the Jungian process of individuation. Maurice has to deal with the problems that his fraught childhood have bestowed upon him. Specifically the fear that he might one day become his murdering father, and the inhibitions this creates with his interactions with potential life partners, must be recognised and overcome.

Philomena wishes Maurice to participate in the Magic Theatre. The theatre could be described as a training camp for eternity. It is a process more than a place, and designed to introduce the individual to the archetypes, pattern recognition, at the concept of a fluid reality that is malleable.

The resolution is brought about by manipulating Maurice until he faces a crisis similar in many respects to that which brought about his father's murderous actions. Maurice declines to violence, and in doing so realises that he and he alone chooses what he does and does not do. Further he realises that he will never become his father.
© Copyright 2022 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038681-Day-6---General-Theme