*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038665-Day-5---Plot-Climax
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #2281958
To keep all documents relating to the October Preparation Challenge for NaNoWriMo
#1038665 added October 5, 2022 at 7:09am
Restrictions: None
Day 5 - Plot: Climax
Maurice's unspoken fear is that he might become violent like his father. This manifests in his inability to get close to any potential wife or partner.

Maurice is led by the Devil, (which is his own Shadow, (Jungian psychology)), to the point where he could do violence to Philomena. He does not. The climax is his realisation that his behaviour is not, and does not have to be shaped in anyway to be the same as his father's. This could be a larger realisation of the idea of original sin.

This realisation paves the way for him to join the Magic Theatre, and to further explore his, and its potentials.

This is a nod to Steppenwolf, but in that novel, the protagonist killed Hermine, (albeit in the Magic Theatre, so it is possible this was not absolutely true). Maurice is not told that he will kill Philomena, and as noted above the outcome of the crisis is different.

Philomena flirts with, and teases Maurice. Mrs. Abner, Maurice's part-time housekeeper tries to matchmake Maurice with a local girl, then with Philomena. The devil manipulates Maurice, and creates a series of problems that lead Maurice to become drunk, just as his father had been on the night that he murdered Maurice's mother and sister.

He further manages to suggest that the events that lead up to the crisis are somehow Philomena's fault. Philomena having been like Hermine, broadening Maurice's horizons, this could easily be accomplished. Maurice's actions whilst following Philomena's suggestions, leading to the crisis.
© Copyright 2022 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038665-Day-5---Plot-Climax