*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039594-Plot-Complications
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Other · #2279759
a young inner-city preacher experiences Spiritual and Physical opposition
#1039594 added October 23, 2022 at 1:13pm
Restrictions: None
Plot: Complications
"Plot: Complications" ▼
Complications. Identify additional things that could go wrong for your protagonist. You are not required to resolve any problems yet, just create them. Remember: The more hardships your main character faces, the more readers will cheer them on, and the more engaged and invested the reader will be in your story. Brainstorm a list of problems you could throw at your protagonist(s) throughout the story, using ""What If,"" mind mapping (see the resources at the bottom of the calendar), freestyle writing, or any other form of brainstorming you prefer. Hint: Other characters are a great source of realistic strife, since characters often are driven by conflicting motivations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am thinking there will be a conflict with the family because Joal will choose to work the mission full-time instead of taking over the construction business. I have not decided how I will introduce this conflict. However, I am thinking of putting in some family conversations that build up these expectations and then have a couple of family arguments to express the pressure and disappointment from the family at his decision. At the end of the story however, he will be able to make amends with his family.

I need to incorporate some preaching and witnessing engagements into the story. These may also include some fundraiser events as well. It will seem as though Joal is fighting an uphill battle all the way. Of course, he has to have good days as well as bad days. The plan is to balance it out. When a good thing occurs, throw in a challenge to keep the reader's interest.

The plan is to constantly be having some conflict that needs to be solved throughout the story. When one issue is solved, another emerges. I want to tell it in a way that is consistent with real life. Maybe each chapter can be like a separate story within the larger story.

There can be several financial issues such as funding, lawsuits, damage to the building, permits, supplies, etc...

The decision to go full-time with the mission happens after an accident occurs when he is working at a construction site. Joal has time to consider his purpose in life and to think about things. It will take him some time to recover.

There will be relationship conflicts and he will fall in love. Will the woman he loves, share his vision? Will she have other ideas and be against running the mission? Will she want him to go with more steady employment? Perhaps, she thinks he will inherit the construction business and she sees him as a secure choice?

Maybe a friend can betray him. Maybe he can be beat up a couple of times because he is witnessing on the street. How will he respond when these occurrences happen? Maybe the street the mission is on could flood. Maybe there could be a fire. Maybe the windows can be damaged. Maybe there will be a robbery and vandalism. Maybe he will be in a rehabilitation center for a while after his accident. Maybe he can be a hero and save someone's life. Maybe he can stand up for someone who needs it. Maybe he can pay someone's debt. Maybe he can find a way to rehome a homeless family. Maybe he can help someone find medical care for a chronic condition. Maybe he can question his own beliefs at some point in the story.

Will he start the mission, or will he just take over it from someone else?


a signature image created for Marvelous Friend
© Copyright 2022 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039594-Plot-Complications