*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1040080-Giving-Thanks
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2278909
Just things that I think about now and then.
#1040080 added October 31, 2022 at 9:45pm
Restrictions: None
Giving Thanks
prompt
As we move into November, Thanksgiving is the next holiday. This holiday is not as controversial to Christians as Halloween. Do you believe a Christian should celebrate Thanksgiving? If you do, how do you plan to celebrate this year?


Ok, let's see if I have my history correct - Americans model their holiday on a 1621 harvest feast shared between English colonists and the Wampanoag.
The reason? The colonists were about to starve and had no idea how to work the land they were on. With the help of the Indigenous Americans (Indians) they were able to figure out how to fertilize the soil and work it to improve their crops. The celebration was a bringing about the two peoples in giving thanks to God for the bounty.

Nowadays, (and I've seen this in my family) it has become an orgy of food, naps and football. Naps to help tap down the dinner, so there would be plenty of room for dessert and coffee. A far cry from giving thanks for rescuing starving people and blessing them with a bountiful harvest.
I think it's only right that we give thanks for what God has done for us.



This thanksgiving, I have plenty to be thankful for - My kids have been wonderful to me in my time of illness and recuperation (still ongoing), I am grateful that I am still alive; as I have heard of people around me that did not survive the illness that I did. I'm grateful for this community where I can share my work, and gain inspiration from others.

Dinner will be a traditional dinner: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and rolls. Maybe an apple pie for dessert.

That's what I've got for now.


signature updated by lili_in_fl

© Copyright 2022 AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - (UN: ajar0627 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1040080-Giving-Thanks