*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1041292-Play-Review-Whatever-Shall-We-Do-Muvva
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Comedy · #2286083
Long, long ago, in a Newsfeed....
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1041292 added December 3, 2022 at 11:53am
Restrictions: None
Play Review: Whatever Shall We Do Muvva?
Tonight we'll be reviewing Angus Brosnigag's new play "Whatever Shall We Do Muvva?". Set in war torn Italy in the early Hang Dynasty it tells the tale of Arfur Byttresweet a young, and very confused member of the Order of Gobstoppers. Arfur's trials and tribulations lead him on a journey of discovery. One of the most important discoveries being, extensive foreign travel is very expensive.

Naturally, this being a Brosnigag play, there are several trademark Brosnigag elements. The love interest is, as ever, provided by Ethel Paddington, who at 93 has been in every single play Angus has ever written. In a career spanning canyons of ineptitude, Ethel always manages to convey the idea that she has no clue what is going on. Arfur engages the audience in a 4th wall breaking banter, mainly asking if anyone has any spare change because he needs 50p for the meter.

Laugh, I almost did, the antics of comedy duo Keith and Boris, playing drunken vivisectionists Harry and Harry Cleverbuggies, were a painful reminder of a trip to see the dentist's favourite team playing a sledge full of elderly stoats. After the shocking twist at the end of the first act, which I won't spoil for you, but I can reveal does involve kippers and a blender, the play settles down and it is easy to sympathise with the character of Maud Notalotavodka who as the Voice of Sanity, is woefully underused by Brosnigag, in this, his first attempt at writing a play.

In the final act , an impoverished Arfur returns to Budleigh Salterton, where he Harry, and Harry immunise the escutcheon before giving up and getting jobs in the nearby hamster wonderland factory.

The first night's audience gave a standing ovation, although this might have been because the open air raid didn't provide seating. Bookings can be made, but only on the night of the full moon, three hours before the dawn, in a field just outside Bletchley.



Note: This was written to advertise the Whatever Contest, but didn't mention it directly. I was just warming up.
© Copyright 2022 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1041292-Play-Review-Whatever-Shall-We-Do-Muvva