*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042373
Rated: 13+ · Book · Supernatural · #2128959
So many things had a tendency to linger. For 14 Days, 7 Prompts, 1 Story Contest. Dec 2022
#1042373 added December 30, 2022 at 9:47pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6: Cayenne Pepper
The chatter of the furniture movers followed them down the hall with a plate of mini cayenne chocolate bundts. The success of a new recipe was tempered by the fact that everything in her kitchen utensils and cabinet doors kept shaking at odd intervals.

"So that was…something."

Marlow pinched the bridge of her nose. "The ghost haunting my kitchen nearly spooked the movers as they replaced the oven she cracked in a poltergeist breakdown, nearly taking out my refrigerator."

"At least it was entertaining?" Hannah shrugged, trying to hide her unease. "There's a pitch for a sitcom in there if the baking thing doesn't work out."

"This mediumship is the worst. Why couldn't it have been invisibility or telekinesis, so I don't have to use a step stool to reach the mixing bowls on the top shelf."

"Ha-freaking-ha."

Marlow leaned against the sink as exhaustion sank into her bones, her arms crossed tightly against her chest to ward off the chill in the air. "It's getting worse."

"I know."

"I'm going to go broke if we keep replacing appliances every few weeks."

"I know."

"Winter is going to be a disaster."

"You need to call in an exorcist. Or go to therapy. Both would be best."

Marlow snorted. "Now, who's the comedian."

A small crack formed in the center of the oven door as glasses shattered on the counter.

"If you don't let me go, I will become a monster." Cold hands settled on her shoulders, making Marlow's eyes widen. The touch felt solid. Human. Real. "I won't just be haunting you, Marlow. I'll be destroying you."

The baker felt tears burning at the back of her eyes. "Hannah."

"I don't want to hurt you, Mar."

"I can't let you go."

"You don't have a choice."



Word Count: 296 / 1518
Prompt Six: "Sixth prompt."   - Supernatural Power
For "14 Days, 7 Prompts, 1 Story Contest
© Copyright 2022 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042373