*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042638-Ban-What-Rated-E
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#1042638 added January 6, 2023 at 11:18am
Restrictions: None
Ban What? Rated E
For Andre the Blog Monkeys' banana bar.:

‎1/‎4/‎2023


Manx Cat from Japan


Category 1: If cars were banned would you ride a horse or a bike or something else?

Specifically, this says cars. I would have a multitude of ways to get around. I live in a rural place. The nearest shopping is five miles away. That takes about 10 to 20 minutes to get to riding a bicycle. Longer to get back, because there is a lot of downhill going to the town, which means a lot of up hills coming back.

There are two other places I can reach for small amounts of supplies. A Dollar General a couple miles south of us. A smaller village 5 miles in another direction with a Family Dollar store. Other places are 10 or 15 miles away which would have proper shopping with Walmart and other grocery stores.

If motor scooters or other small, motorized vehicles are available, I would be able to use a properly licensed ATV. Because I only go to a town to shop for groceries and other supplies at this time, an ATV would be able to carry multiple boxes or bags of supplies. We may have to keep a snow mobile for rare trips in winter. Although so far only one short lived blizzard has hit us this year.

Banning cars? Does this mean we can no longer order online. And will the delivery of supplies stop. I'm able to can and freeze in summer. I used to raise chickens for eggs, turkeys for the freezer. The family had fresh lamb, goat meat, and venison.

A local potato farmer sells potatoes by the 50 lb. bags in the fall. One bag lasts quite a long time for us now. Dairy goats are quite expensive now. If necessary, I could go back to raising our own goats for dairy and meat.

This would also mean continuing to put up hay in summer for our own use. We still do that with gas and fuel driven machinery.

We live near Amish, and they hire drivers, with automobiles, to take them to area grocery stores.

I could keep a horse and buggy. I have the room and know how to train and drive a horse in harness. A quiet buggy horse could also be used as a saddle horse, with saddle bags, to visit the Dollar General and bring home milk and snacks.

People in this area are used to stocking up for bad weather. Who wants to go shopping in a blizzard. At this time, I only leave home about once a month to shop for groceries.

Monday one of my sons took us to a movie in Erie. We saw Avatar: The Way of Water. Then, stopped at Fridays for dinner. I have not been that far from home since 2019. Probably if they ban automobiles I will rarely go very far from home, but it will not be impossible to deal with. Banning cars will probably mean setting up a delivery system to rural people. We have Wi-Fi, television, Kindles for games, movies, news, and other media.

Some people might move to a town or city in order to be nearer to other people.

There are health clinics 5 miles from us in two different directions. Now, with computers there is also the possibility of direct online contact with doctors.

We heat with corn which has to be delivered by the ton. We usually keep a couple ton at a time which keeps us ahead of the weather by several months. Many of the neighbors heat with wood they have to cut or propane, which is delivered in small tank trucks. It means some type of delivery is inevitable or neighbors will move to a town.

We also have back-up quartz heaters. The corn stoves have small fans that can run on solar power. Quartz heaters are also able to run on solar power.

No matter what happens we will find a way to stay where we are. Taking cars away will decrease the travel abilities but, not stop people from moving around as they have need.

Banning cars may mean bus lines or other types of transportation will be enacted. Noone makes quick changes to society around here. Banning cars sounds too much like banning alcohol. That didn't work either.

Word Count: 721

© Copyright 2023 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042638-Ban-What-Rated-E