*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1043976-Nothing-comes-for-free-Share1-P17-18-for-tone
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#1043976 added February 1, 2023 at 6:07am
Restrictions: None
Nothing comes for free! Share#1 P17 [18+ for tone]
Nothing comes for free. In Thailand your family looks after you => you look after family.

Most Asian cultures operate on this system. The concept of individualism so popular in the Wild West version of America isn't the norm. The saddest Thai is an orphan without friends. The Korean movie "My Perfect Roommate" explores the sad situation of those who have no family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ER5sZRzP3M

No, nothing comes for free. But Americans decided on public schools and libraries a century ago. Unfortunately, health care was not considered a basic need and still isn't! Spare me the debate about Medicare, Medicaid, yadayadayada. Health is optional in the USA. Most of Europe (Norway led the way in 1917) and Asia considers a healthy population necessary for the good of the nation. Not Americans!

Wealth = good = wealth. The poor are poor because they aren't good. People who cannot work should be invisible (preferably dead). America depends on cheap labor (a legacy of colonialism and capitalism) a type of modern day slavery. Even tipping (groveling because the boss won't pay a living wage) stems from this notion that we are NOT equal and inequity is NATURAL and GOOD.

So, let me make this personal. I don't work. That's okay for some because of my age. But receiving government assistance when I was younger was not. I was homeless because I had no income; which was fine according to Americans as long as I was invisible (and preferably dead).

May I point out that many people don't 'work'. The wealthy sure don't have to; yet, we allow them to fly their jets, use up resources and take up space. Because? Wealth = good. As if wealthy people are saints? Gimme a break!

If Americans want war (they are very violent and warlike as a group) they should continue to treat other Americans as just 'other' and unworthy of living.

No, nothing comes for free. The meanness of the generic American, who believes that equity is evil, leads to violence; and, that ultimate price (one they are willing to pay) is War.

And yes, America is presently at war... with itself.

"My Perfect Roommate" with English subtitles.



Prompt

© Copyright 2023 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1043976-Nothing-comes-for-free-Share1-P17-18-for-tone