*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044452
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2290170
Danvers and SkyWolf accidentally fly too close to the enemy and chaos soon follows.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1044452 added February 8, 2023 at 12:25pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1
"Smoke in the air! Smoke in the air!" Danvers screamed down the radio.

"I see it, it's locked onto you," I yelled. My fingers wasted no time in loosing a rocket, I heard a clunk and watched it shoot off the wing. It hits its target in no time.

"Thank you SkyWolf I owe you a beer this evening," he said.

"Just concentrate on staying alive," I said and turned to the left. We left the land behind us, the wide open sea waited for us, and the spray bathed the belly of our jets.

"SkyWolf I am running low on fuel, I don't think I'm going to make it back to mum," Danvers said.

"Skywolf calling for an emergency refuel, is there a Tanker in the area?" I called, and we flew close to each other waiting for an answer. I tapped my fingers against the control column, "come on, come on." After several moments we received an answer.

"SkyWolf we hear you loud and clear, we are several miles North West from your position, do you think you could both reach us?" The Tanker radio operator said.

"I can but I don't know about Danvers," I said.

"Keep us updated and if you need we will meet you," he replied.

"Okay thank you, sir," I said. I looked at Danvers through the canopy, his breathing was steady for now.

"You good Danvers?" I asked.

"Yes, feeling better knowing I could potentially get fuel," he said.

"Do you think you will be able to make it to the Tanker?" I quizzed him.

"Yes, I am hoping I will be able to," he said. Finally there in the distance, we saw the tankers, their hoses flapping behind them.

"Finally," Danvers sighed. "Danvers and SkyWolf in bound." We approached the Tanker, I allowed Danvers to fill up first I stayed behind watching his several failed attempts, he kept hitting the basket and not the fuel tube after several attempts he finally hit it.

"Contact," the Tanker operator said. "Good flight today for you guys?" We both huffed a laugh."Not exactly," I said and readjusted my visor.

"I know you can't give me the details, but I am sorry to hear that," the other said.

"My tank is full enough to get me back to mum," Danvers said and disconnected.

"Okay good," I replied and together we went to find mum. We flew fast keeping close together, and before panic could set in there she was, in all her grey glory with the lights glowing on the deck. She rocked gently with the waves washing up and down the sides of the ship."Looks like an easy landing," Danvers said.

"You can land first," I said and dropped my speed to allow him to fly in front. I circled around waiting for my turn.

"SkyWolf you are cleared for landing," Tower said.

"Good evening Tower, thank you, beginning landing protocol," I said and flew toward mum, I corrected my jet with every tiny movement from the ship and with a thud I hit the deck, the tail hook had caught its target and it slowed me down, I came to a standstill on the deck. I turned off my lights and shut off the engines.

My canopy rose up, I took off my helmet and put my shades on sliding my glasses up the evening sun still strong, Danvers met me as I climbed down the ladder. "Nice landing," he said.

"Thanks, you're not so bad yourself," I replied. "How much longer till we reach port?"

"Another hour or so," Danvers said. We walked off the deck and to the debriefing room. The door was already propped open I knocked on the door anyway.

"Come in," our Captain said. "Sit," he pointed to the two chairs in front of him. We said nothing and sat down in front of him.

"So what part of undetected did you not understand?" he asked.

"We were..." I began.

"That's why you both nearly didn't return to us," he said.

"It was my fault I lost my focus," Danvers said taking the blame.

"That's not good enough," he growled.

"You're dismissed SkyWolf," he said sternly.

"Yes sir!" I said. I walked up to the deck enjoying the spritz of salt water on my face.

"If it wasn't for your fast thinking I'm sure Danvers would have been shot down," Elliot said as he approached me.

"Well, you have to look out for each other up there, not that I need to tell you that," I said turning around and leaning my back against the bar of the ship. I could finally see the port, and after what felt like forever the ship finally docked. I waited for Danvers, his face full of thunder."I guess that didn't go well," I said.

"No," he shook his head. "I need a drink," we headed to the bar on the harbour. It was loud with chatter, the clatter of snooker balls as the cues hit them and the music blared from the jukebox He threw himself down into the booth.

"I guess he didn't take it easy on you?" I said as I brought the first round of beer.

"Nope," he said, it had been a long time since I had seen him this irritated. "He said I'm on a trial basis, if I don't improve I will be permanently grounded.

"That's not fair," I said taking a sip of my beer, "did you not tell him that you miscalculated how far over we were?" He shook his head.

"Then that's your first mistake you should have been more honest with him.

"You need to stop being so scared to speak up for yourself," I reminded him.

"I know," he said dropping his gaze down to his beer, I got up without a word and dropped my money into the jukebox and selected his favourite song: Playing With the Boys by Kenny Loggins. I sat down opposite him.

"Now, please try and cheer up," I said smiling and chinking my beer against his.

© Copyright 2023 Raven Valentino (UN: sylvanas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven Valentino has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044452