*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044553-So-This-Happened--21023
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Arts · #2290300
How did I get involved in this?
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1044553 added February 10, 2023 at 11:55am
Restrictions: None
So This Happened ... 2/10/23
There I was, sitting at home, minding my own business when Ann hunted me down —

Although I've played in the pit of James Street for many, many years since High School and "Lil' Abner", and numerous shows after the past couple of years and COVID put the small community theater group into an extended hiatus. Somehow in that time through a combination of things my contact information with the group got lost, changed, and somehow mutilated.

So! Ann actually did have to hunt me down, finally contacting me not via phone or email, but by using a third parties Facebook Messenger note — I relate this mainly to demonstrate what a Producer/Director/Co-musical Director (Ann will be wearing all three hats, and most likely add scenic designer) will go through to nab staff their production, and so you can see what the trials and tribulations of getting a production up and running are.

The next item to address is my job. Why did I use the term Pit Boss rather than the more usual Conductor?

*Clef* No, I will not be running a floating crap game — that's a different show entirely! *Clef*

"Godspell" was in its original incarnation, an Off-Broadway production, as such it didn't need to meet the Musician's Union requirement of a certain size orchestra. The original instrumentation consisted of Piano, Guitar, Bass, and Drums. So as you can see, I will be leading an entirely different group — hopefully not astray. If you have a cast recording and you hear horns, that's the movie version. To hear what we are doing you need the original cast, from way back in 1971. (I hadn't even graduated from High School yet, we did play Oliver that year in High School)

The first task I face as Pit Boss is finding players, and though auditions for the cast won't even happen until February 26th, I am already working on coercing players into joining us. I say coercing because as a small community group, James Street Players' can't afford to actually pay anyone. Just getting the rights to perform the musical runs into the thousands. In lieu of payment, I will be treating the pit combo to dinner and drinks (most likely many drinks).

So far, I have commitments from a Pianist, a Bassist (can't do one show, still looking for coverage on that day), and a very eager Drummer. Still looking for the Guitarist. Any takers? Airfare is not included.

I have already scheduled the Pits first rehearsal for Sunday, April 16th at 7 PM, subsequent rehearsal will be determined by how well the pit performs.

But, what am I doing before that April 16th rehearsal?

The cast, who audition on February 26th jump right into it and start rehearsing on the very next day, they will meet every Monday, Wednesday, and Sunday. I will be attending at least one of those rehearsals, weekly so that I can begin to get a feel for the cast and its pacing.

In addition, I will, with YouTube's help, be studying the score, which has nothing to do with the Superbowl. The score is a compilation of all the musical parts in the show, including the singer(s), until I begin hearing it in my sleep —

And, hopefully, don't regret doing this!


Oh, did I mention there would be bribes for following me on this journey?



Signiture Item...I'm only the trombone player Pit Boss!


© Copyright 2023 Richard ~ Shenanigans INC. (UN: brennus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Richard ~ Shenanigans INC. has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1044553-So-This-Happened--21023