*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1049540-Rotten-Deer
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2198921
Norma's Wanderings around a small section of Montana
#1049540 added May 12, 2023 at 8:18pm
Restrictions: None
Rotten Deer!

I planned to go to a conference - on tourism. I planned to stay in Gardiner. That's a small town at the north entrance to Yellowstone, perhaps you remember that we managed a motel there for about 8 years. I was going to stay there a few nights. I asked hubby if he wanted to go, 'No, what would I do?' I told him, 'Go fishing in the Yellowstone River. You always liked to do that.' Well, he said no.

Then the other day, he asked when WE were leaving for that trip. Hold on. WE? So, change of plans. WE left on Wednesday morning for Gardiner, leaving about 8:30 AM to get to Gardiner early, check-in, then I was going back about 20 miles up Paradise Valley to the conference. It was going to be fun. Because we also found out some old friends were also staying at the motel. These friends are photographers we met while managing that motel. We'd arranged a dinner date for Thursday night. We needed to catch up with Betty, our old boss, and Don and Deb, our old friends.

WELL..............................

We were 21 miles away from our destination when hubby says, but not too loud, DEER! I stomped on the brake. Both air bags blew up in our faces and I pulled over. Blast it all. Another deer suicide. Our car is toast. Again. The same corner that got hit a few years ago. Someone stopped, called 911. He waited while someone from the Paradise Valley volunteer fire department showed up. That only took about 5 minutes. Then the sheriff showed up. Then another volunteer showed up, this man stayed by my side the entire time. Then the entire PVFD showed up. A county highway truck cruised by, then picked up the deer, came by us, 'Do you want the animal?' (There were 3 dead deer in their truck.) I said, 'Which one is ours? I want to kick it or punch it!' An ambulance was called, then sent away. The Montana Highway patrol came and the Sheriff left. We really weren't hurt, except for a decent bruise on my hand from the air bag. And a crying jag I had for about 15 minutes about being so sorry for it all. Bugger me.

Hubby called Betty at the motel. Betty finally showed up. She loaded us up in her car, as our car was loaded onto the wrecker. The highway patrol gave us an accident report. The highway patrol and the wrecker both left as we made our way down to Gardiner. Our friends, Don and Deb, met us at the motel. Everyone was so worried, upset. It was like going home again.

Hubby insisted, and Don and everyone agreed, I was to be checked at the hospital. Brain surgeries, let's be sure. So back in the car we go. Back up the valley 50 miles to the hospital ER. Don takes us, bless him. He drives to and from the hospital 35 - 40 MPH. Deer, elk and bison line the sides of the road. I kid you not. We counted at least 30 on the way back to Gardiner. I was fine, no problems. Thank you God.

Yesterday we spent fishing, walking to where the flood of 2022 washed away the road in Yellowstone near Gardiner, and then had a nice little picnic with Deb and Don. The motel folk gave us a little flower arrangement, so sweet! Then this morning we left at 7 AM as Don and Deb drove us 80 miles to Bozeman to pick up a rental car. Again, 35 - 40 mph through that valley.

Oh. I never did go to that conference. I emailed the chair of the group that sponsored me. Gave my regrets. He understood.

So now we're home. We're wondering what will happen to the car. Totaled or fixable. What do we do? We have to wait.

But one thing we know for sure. We know we have people who care about us and love us. There are still good, decent people in this world. From the unpaid volunteers to the sheriff to the patrolman to the wrecker driver. And then our dear friends. Each and every one of them. This is why I live in Montana folks.

© Copyright 2023 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1049540-Rotten-Deer