*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1050949-In-Distress-of-Time
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2208434
Most entries are going to be E rated but some may go beyond that.
#1050949 added June 11, 2023 at 6:34pm
Restrictions: None
In Distress of Time
Jack sat down by the well as Jill went to fetch the pail to fill up with water. He twiddled his thumbs and pondered over the scene as he waited for her to come back. The sun lingered in the air above and didn't give any relief to the warming day. Sweat poured down his face as he waited and he waited. Soon she came back and he stood to put the pail into the well for a pail of water. This was no job to go goofing around on but to do it as quickly as possible. Not a single word to be spoken. That was part of the competition. Falling down the hill would automatically disqualify them as well.

Jack heaved the bucket of water and watched Jill go down the hill. Then he started following after her. One slip and it would be all over for him. He held his breath and slowly made his way down the hill. One foot in front of the other. He wasn't going to break his crown this time, not now. Not after what happened last time. Slowly, he walked with his feet gripping the ground like toothbrushes does to the teeth. Not very well. The water splat right into his face just as he made it to the bottom of the hill. She waited for him and took the bucket of water without saying another word. He needed the help, badly. Then he fell. At least he didn't fall down the hill and got disqualified. But the pain arose. His crown was hurting badly again. Maybe he wasn't up for this challenge after all. He got up anyway and started limping. Everyone knew his story.

As Jill waited for him to come up beside him there was a challenger coming up to the finish line as well with the bucket of water. They were not going to finish in first place. Then she saw Jack limping and cheered him on to hurry over as fast as he could. They were almost done. The other challenger needed their partner to come on over to finish the race. Jack came slowly but surely. They won!

No prompt, no dialogue.
Word Count: 363
Contest: "No Dialogue Contest-CLOSED

© Copyright 2023 Angelica- House Florent B & W (UN: dragonfish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Angelica- House Florent B & W has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1050949-In-Distress-of-Time