*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051044
Rated: 13+ · Book · Philosophy · #2020664
Repository for my Zanier Ideas... on writing, and life.
#1051044 added June 14, 2023 at 6:32am
Restrictions: None
Something to play with
One way to characterize is to go cheap. Lists of things that go with the character to flesh out the trope or 'character class' if you're into RPG parlance.For example, three things that you instantly recognize about the character physically, such as hair color, weight, and a tag like 'goofy.'





A good thing to list would be five words that the character uses more than others. The first such list I ever made was stolen from a military strategizing idea called the CARVER. It seeks to rate any plan by five criteria: Critical, Accessible, Recognizable, Vulnerable, Effective and recoverable. Reading about that it made sense, but on another level I thought; man, if a character kept saying those five words more than usual, you would get the energy and focus that his training as a soldier would have drilled into him. Always talking about "It's critical that we meet today." "Is that effective in protecting our most vulnerable asset?" "Let's talk to Joe now, while we have access." Subtly get the point across.





Now another one would be the archetype of the wizard. For them, I wanted to keep small words because the temptation to 'go sesquipedalian'--to overuse big words--is something that I struggle with because those words are kind of normal to me. The five I came up with that aren't too obvious are "Hint, key, mask, echo, appreciate." Hint because secret knowledge doesn't tend to announce itself but is usually only hinted at. Keys because they are based on precise secret knowledge and used to disproportionate effect. Mask because "Magic doesn't fool you because you're stupid but because it's stupid"--Penn and Teller. One point of that being, it does fool you, and mask is a simpler word than disguise. Echo because a wizard should be thinking about long term effects. Appreciate because it means to recognize--to unmask-- value, and to increase value. To enhance something just by being aware of it seems the ultimate wizardry, so I kept it despite it's posh sound.





Another five word list I came up with was POWER: Please, Opt, Work, Enjoy, Respond.





Then you take these words and sneak them in in other meanings--this is why it is good to use simple words.





Yes, I detect a hint of cinnamon.





Do you appreciate the bind I am in?





I like the way that the curves of your sword echo the design on your tabard.





No, I really think Jode is the key here. Jode's deeds echo the intent of your words, and I don't think we can appreciate that enough.





Lord Nasher cannot mask the hint of disdain in his diplomacy. Surely you appreciate the danger that they will echo Nasher's hostility in their force of arms?





Though I appreciate the need for caution, I think the veil of the unknown masks a great opportunity.





Other words such as bind might we'll be as good or better for the general idea of a mage.





Now of course this is all speculation, I've no idea how it will work. The need is to weave them in, and see how well you can mask them. Then again, I think I should try and see what effect weaving these five words into my everyday active vocabulary would have. And yes, if I'm honest of these it's the wizard one I'd most want to use.

© Copyright 2023 Joto-Kai (UN: jotokai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joto-Kai has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051044