*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051786-Deja-Vu
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2297052
Some of my musings.
#1051786 added June 28, 2023 at 10:21pm
Restrictions: None
Deja Vu
         This evening I attended the high school graduation of my second granddaughter Emily. I whooped. I cheered. I clapped. I swiped away a few errant tears. And most of all I marveled.
         Even before I arrived my son Chris, Em's proud father, phoned to suggest I meet him at the high school's main entrance and he'd act as my parking valet. Vehicles had already filled the parking lot and others were parked along the highway stretching long distances. How thoughtful and considerate of Chris to spare my recuperating leg and I a long, uncomfortable hike.
         A seat guarded by my daughter-in-law Terrilynn had been saved for me in the crowded gymnasium and again it was situated near the entrance.
         As I settled into my chair I snuck a peek at the other beaming attendees and recognized several faces. Perusing the programme many familiar names caught my eye. Chris commented or did he lament that air conditioning had not been available at his high school graduation. He too knew many of the graduating class.
         Before the ceremonies commenced the principal called for a moment of silence in memory of a student who would not be alive to graduate with his friends. Francisco committed suicide in the Spring and like all such life-altering choices its aftermath has been emotional. Emily had once dated him and still considered him to be a close friend. She is struggling to accept Franny's death. At seventeen death had never been on her radar. His suicide left so many questions and what ifs. A posthumous diploma was hand-delivered to Francisco's parents seated in the audience. They in turn dedicated an award in their son's name. Every parent present stood to acknowledge this young man and his grieving family. No parent wants to know this pain and loss.
         This is the sixth high school graduation I've attended, imagine that. Of course I was in attendance for mine and each of my three offspring. Four years ago, wow, how time does indeed fly or blur along, Emily's sister Sydney earned her diploma. Sydney quipped that I'll enjoy a break between graduations.
         In reference to her four-year old cousin's future, Sydney queried, "When will Alexandra graduate Nanna?"
         Without hesitation I replied, "Oh, in about thirteen years."
         Yikes! Thirteen years? Why not? It's a reason to look ahead and plan to still be alive and kicking. I may have to be more realistic about the odds of attending four-month old Christina's high school graduation. Seventeen years? Perhaps.
         Have I mentioned Emily the child who treated all things school with ambivalence and has doubted her abilities graduated with Honours and earned the distinction of provincial scholar? Oh, and just to brag a wee bit more she qualified as an information and communication and technology specialist. But wait there's another award. Emily was recognized as a graduating student who showed service to her high school community. Nanna's sometimes like to celebrate their grandgiggles achievements a little. Of course I never doubted Emily and this validation/recognition should serve to illustrate her potential.
         Bravo and congrats Emily! Kudos to her proud parents Christopher and Terrilynn too!

© Copyright 2023 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051786-Deja-Vu