*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051968-On-July-Fourth
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1051968 added July 1, 2023 at 1:55pm
Restrictions: None
On July Fourth
Do you have plans for the 4th of July? Or doing something special for with a four day weekend?

----------

I don't have any set plans for the 4th of July, and this or any other weekend. Four-day or regular, weekends have no real bearing on my present life, except for the relief from the landline calls for scamming, charity, or other blah blah. As an aside, Thank you AT&T for your inconsideration of your clients and for not giving me a way to not let those crap calls ring.

I guess, then, for the reasons above, I'll stick to writing about freedom which has proven to have an immense importance in our human experience. Throughout history, the struggle for freedom has been a driving force behind revolutions, movements, and societal transformations.

So, following this trend and then becoming its leader, our USA is founded on liberty and the ideas of freedom.

And it is July 4th weekend this next week, although sometimes, I wonder if, as Americans, we are celebrating a freedom that is in danger of eroding, and I certainly hope escaping reality does not become our new national pastime. Still, at times, I rejoice when we do something really heroic for ourselves and for the world; therefore, as of the present moment, something worth celebrating this July Fourth is our freedom.

What is freedom, then? Do we really understand what its meaning encompasses? To me, freedom represents the absence of undue restrictions on individual autonomy. But how much autonomy and can some restrictions be useful to us? You see, every idea has its own set of pros and cons.

I have to believe that it is still doable, in a free society, for individuals to have the right to voice their opinions, practice their chosen religion and freedom of speech, assemble peacefully, and engage in activities that do not infringe upon the rights of others. The key phrase here is "do not infringe upon the rights of others." I just hope AT &T and such companies and scammers that like to trample upon the good citizens' privacy rights take this into consideration.

As the original foundational stones and our most cherished documents, the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights serve to prevent people, Americans or otherwise, from overstepping their bounds. As such, the tension between individual freedoms and collective well-being still are at odds when it comes to shaping discussions and policies in the United States, even if interpretation of "freedom" may vary among individuals and groups.

I believe no one in his right American mind wants increased surveillance, erosion of privacy, or restrictions on certain civil liberties, despite the societal progress's conflicting challenges. Maybe this is all because the concept of freedom is a dynamic and evolving ideal for it requires constant reflection, dialogue, and a commitment to upholding the rights and liberties of all citizens in order to navigate the complexities of a changing world.

Yet, I think, in comparison to the rest of the world, we're quite all right here in the USA; this is partly because I can carp about most stuff in my blog. The inconsistencies are usually due to the USA always having to solve a few conflicts within itself. Lucky for us, it has always pulled through. Truth is, to me, USA is my beloved, perpetual, and consistently-conflicted comeback kid, as a country.

Happy July Fourth, America!
.
.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051968-On-July-Fourth