*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051905-Surprises
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1051905 added June 30, 2023 at 10:14am
Restrictions: None
Surprises
Prompt:
Write about a recent surprise you have given to someone. what was their expression? how did you feel?


------

I am not too crazy about giving or getting surprises in general. Nice or not, a surprise may shock a person into a heart attack. I can't recall of any recent surprise that I've given or have received, possibly for that reason alone.

On the other hand, especially for the young, nice surprises have a magical way of instantly changing the atmosphere and bringing joy to both the giver and the receiver. Whether it's a small gift, an unexpected gesture, or a big surprise, the expressions on the faces of surprised people capture a range of emotions, from disbelief and astonishment to sheer delight and gratitude as their faces often become a canvas of emotions.

I recall, in my youth, my grandmother's long-lost younger brother suddenly showing up at the door. Shocked and surprised, my grandmother just fainted, and it could have been worse. What if she had had a heart attack! The rest turned out to be really nice, though. Once her brother explained why he had stayed away and was readily understood and accepted by everyone, he started coming to see us every year from the other end of the world, igniting a burst of happiness within all of us.

Unlike my grandmother, however, not everyone faints and falls. When people are surprised in a nice way, in some instances, tears of happiness well up in their eyes, glistening like precious gems. In other instances, people may exhibit a composed surprise, maintaining an air of elegance even amidst their astonishment. Still others may turn spontaneously bubbly, unable to contain their excitement and bouncing with childlike happiness.

Although every surprised expression is unique, it is in such moments that we witness the sheer vulnerability and beauty of human connection. And who knows, nice surprises may just have the incredible ability to create lasting memories and to forge really strong bonds between people.



© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051905-Surprises