*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052188-Yesterday-on-July-4th
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1052188 added July 5, 2023 at 10:19am
Restrictions: None
Yesterday, on July 4th
Prompt: How was your 4th of July?

-------

My 4th of July wasn't hectic...in the beginning. I did my everyday stuff and reading etc. It was very quiet mostly and I was quite happy with that. Unless if I can count the brownies and the cat incidents.

With brownies, I was just about to take them out of the oven when someone called. So I turned off the oven and talked with her on the phone. Since she is very talkative and our conversation took some time, at the end I had forgotten about the brownies standing in the oven. When I remembered them several hours later, the brownies had become stone hard. Today, I'll try to revive them with the bain-marie steaming method. Crossing my fingers on this.

As to the cat incident, my cat is the epitome of a scaredy cat. When there were no sounds of firecrackers throughout the day, I started thanking my lucky stars, but then at 8 PM, they started with full force, and the cat, trying to hide and/or escape, was meowing and running around the house, and unfortunately not being able to get away from all that din.

So, I ran after her and after finally catching up with her, I picked her up and carried her to bed with me and held her until she calmed down. Luckily, the neighbors' noisy entertainment stopped around 10 PM, and both the cat and I were happy, worn out though we both were.

Although as a reminder of sacrifices made by those who fought for our independence, fireworks with their booms, cracks, and loud squeaks may have a distressing impact on people's and pets' ears. I don't know what happened to the alternative celebrations such as laser light shows and silent fireworks that were supposedly put in the works.

Personally, I have no problem with the fireworks being a powerful symbol of patriotism, celebration, and remembrance as a time-honored tradition, but I guess my cat doesn't care for any such tradition all that much.

.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052188-Yesterday-on-July-4th