*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052521-Midsummer
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1052521 added July 12, 2023 at 12:57pm
Restrictions: None
Midsummer!
Prompt:
"With a ripple of leaves and a trinkle of streams, the full world rolls in a rhythm of praise and the winds are one with the clouds and beams-Midsummer Days! Midsummer days!"
William Ernest Henley
Write about this in your Blog entry today.


-----

I don't know why, but this quote reminded me of that Shakepeare's play, in which four Athenians run away to the forest only to have Puck the fairy make both of the boys fall in love with the same girl. Then, all kinds of zany stuff happens. I guess it was the mention of "Midsummer."

Anyhow, my mind is a weird jumble, and Shakespeare's comedy has nothing to do with this quote. In fact, the quote is not zany at all, since it evokes a vivid image of the beauty and harmony found in nature during the height of summer, for in its essence, it is a celebration of life.

The phrase "ripple of leaves" suggests a gentle movement, as if the leaves are dancing in the breeze, offering a sense of life and vitality, as if the entire world is participating in a celebration of nature.

Then, the "trinkle of streams" brings to mind the soothing sound of water flowing over pebbles or cascading down a waterfall. It signifies the presence of water, a life-giving element for all species and nature itself.

"The full world rolls in a rhythm of praise" portrays a sense of unity and reverence for the natural world, since all creation is contributing into a collective music. The word praise could be for the Creator or the Creation itself.

Also, I think, "the winds are one with the clouds and beams" has to do with the oneness or rather the integration of differences in nature, creating a feeling of harmony and tranquility.

In short, William Ernest Henley's "Ballade Of Midsummer Days And Nights" is a celebratory ode, so unlike what Shakespeare entertained us with in his midsummer night's comedy.

And yes, I did look up the quote. Thanks, Google!


.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052521-Midsummer