*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052628-Heat
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1052628 added July 15, 2023 at 10:22am
Restrictions: None
Heat
Are you living in one of the areas with extreme heat conditions? How do you stay cool? Do you have any tips to share?

It was 110 here today in Vegas and the next two days are going to be hotter. The joys of summer time are challenging.

----------

Yes, South Florida is no joke. Although Vegas with 110 tops our high nineties, we hit the hundreds sometimes during the midday, and our heat index is sometimes in the hundred tens. Yet, not just the South, but a heat wave anywhere could be dangerous for health and it's crucial to take those necessary precautions.

Some people here still go and sit under the sun at the beach, which amazes me and I worry for their welfare, because extreme heat means serious health risks, like heat exhaustion and heatstroke. Symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, rapid heartbeat, confusion, or fainting need medical intervention.

As for me, I just don't go out if I don't have to. The house has AC and thank God for that! Still, my clothing is very light and this morning, I took a look at myself in the mirror and laughed, for I thought I looked like a toddler in short shorts.

Joking aside, light clothing is a must. AC or other cooling devices that circulate the air do help, also. Eating light meals, cool showers, and staying alert to weather forecasts, heat advisories, and changes in temperature could be some tips. In addition, it is necessary to keep an eye on children, older people, and people with medical conditions as they are more likely to suffer from heat-related illnesses.

Then, as they say, this too shall pass, like this year's unheard of heat.



© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052628-Heat