*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052752-Befriend-Or-Dont-Befriend-That-Is-The-Question
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
#1052752 added July 18, 2023 at 8:11am
Restrictions: None
Befriend Or Don't Befriend? That Is The Question
I attended my Tuesday group meeting tonight, and isn't it typical in life that there will always be positives and negatives attached to everything we do? The positives of these group sessions are accountability, a sense of purpose that we are all fighting a familiar foe, receiving support and having professional input, as opposed to seeing things only from our own experiences.

The negatives are becoming triggered when others speak of their drug use, sharing the time, when one on one sessions may get to the crux of things more rapidly (I'm currently on a waiting list), and saying things that are or may be viewed as inappropriate by others, within the context of a group setting...things that likely wouldn't be as sensitive if it was just me and a Councillor present.

There's a couple who also attend the group who just happen to live in the next street to me. They are a bit younger than I am and tonight, they were obviously arguing. The guy and I get along Ok. We have a common interest other than our addiction, and that is training. Last week we exchanged numbers, but I didn't make an effort to call him, which tonight he questioned.

In my mind, I have deliberately pushed people who use away, and inviting him into my life right now could very well backfire. If we hang out and both happen to be having a bad day, it could spell disaster. At the moment (and this happened to me just today), if I have a moment of weakness, I simply don't have any people to call. This is a good thing because, after a short period of time, those feelings disappear.

It's possible that we might be a good influence on each other, but on the other hand, the opposite may be true if we are both having a moment of weakness and decide to make a poor choice. I believe he still has drug contacts he can call. It's been around three months since I last used (but I'm unsure about the exact length of time), and it's only been three or four weeks for them. I don't know if becoming friends with them at this point in time is a good idea or not.

I'm wary, and so I should be, but it would be great to have someone to talk to and train with. There are real risks involved and worst-case scenario, it has definite potential to derail my progress.

Life...there's always something.

© Copyright 2023 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052752-Befriend-Or-Dont-Befriend-That-Is-The-Question