*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053071-Functioning
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1053071 added July 26, 2023 at 12:03pm
Restrictions: None
Functioning
Prompt: "The more I'm left alone and not worried, the better I function." Ernest Hemmingway Write about this in your Blog entry today.

--------------

Well, as much as I like Ernest Hemingway's writings, there are individual differences among people and his sayings should not be taken as to apply to all of us. On the other hand, he is only saying what applies to him alone, so as far as I am concerned, he's cleared of trying to enforce his ways on others, at least with this quote.

What he means, as I get it, is that solitude and freedom from worries are directly correlated with improved functioning. Then, if only by solitude and being worry-free, how in the world a writer can find stuff to write about if he shuns social interaction? Constant isolation is not good for anybody, let alone a writer.

While external and internal worries may impact one's work, life's challenges are also necessary for a writer's insight into his work. Thus, a balance of solitude and introspection should be mixed with social give and take, cultural considerations, and living in the world and not out of it. Such a balance fosters better mental health, leading to overall functioning smoothly.

In the case of a writer like Hemingway, this functioning may be measured in productivity and lack of troubles, worrying, and other worldly considerations. Then, sure enough, achieving work success even if slightly close to Hemingway's productivity may be something any writer can be proud of.


.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053071-Functioning