*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053450
Rated: 13+ · Book · Philosophy · #2020664
Repository for my Zanier Ideas... on writing, and life.
#1053450 added August 1, 2023 at 6:16pm
Restrictions: None
Motivation and Procrastination
We as writers often fear to write.





If you've ever put off writing then you've had it. Oh sure it might have been a lesser included form of fear, laziness, where you are afraid of the feelings you will have during the project. But more likely there is more, like a fear of the meaning of that feeling. You might encounter words that are awkward, and think that is a limit to who you are. When nothing could be further from the truth. Or you might fear that these are the best thoughts you will ever have. Doubtless the reader has more.





The truth is there is no way to ever know any of that.





Every word is a step down a long and winding path. You cannot possibly know what lies down that path. As you write it, it will change in your estimation, illuminating still more things. To fear running out of words is like fearing falling off the edge of the world. You might find a cliff, but there will be more land beyond. Similarly to define yourself by what you write is to stand in a forest and proclaim that you are a forest--that you are somehow trapped there. You might stay there for all time, but you can be moved.





There might be better and worse words out there. You might have spoken the best, but probably not. The only thing that you can do is keep forging on.





And don't fear motivation running out. It will. If it didn't you'd be the one who can't stop. The motivation you feel is renewable. Do a sentence and wait. Let its beauty or ugliness move you, bring more words out. Even being speechless, nonverbal, is itself an expression. Continue to record your words, to follow them where they lead.

© Copyright 2023 Joto-Kai (UN: jotokai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joto-Kai has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053450