*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
4
5
6
9
13
16
17
19
20
22
26
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053471-Theres-Just-Something-About-A-New-Pair-Of-Shoes
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
#1053471 added August 2, 2023 at 3:59am
Restrictions: None
There's Just Something About A New Pair Of Shoes
There's something about a new pair of sneakers that makes me happy. As some of you may remember, when I was seventeen, I was run down by a car and subsequently broke my right femur. Two years and several major surgeries later and my right leg is now one inch shorter than the other. The outcome is that every pair of runners I buy must be built up with a wedge...zero on the toe, a half inch on the instep and one whole inch on the heel. The craftsmanship that goes into making the shoes look, for all intents and purposes alike, is worth the AD155 it costs to have the work done (plus the AD150 for the shoes). And as I sit here writing this post with my New Balance shoes on my feet, I feel like a million dollars.

The nursing home my Mom spent her last days, sent me a letter yesterday. I opened it and discovered a final invoice, but instead of having an outstanding amount, it listed the seven hundred and seven dollars as zero...with a note reading, nothing to pay. It was nice of them to wave that final fee, but underneath the invoice was another sheet of paper, with a cheque for seven hundred and seven dollars attached and made out to the estate of my late mother. I have no idea why they decided to pay my Mom that amount, but as the saying goes, never look a gift horse in the mouth. So, I made a beeline for the bank and deposited the cheque into her estate account, which in a month or so, will belong to me. My Mom always was a generous lady, and so, it continues even after her death.

Today I got back into the weights and then, despite the rain, got out on my bike and rode for forty minutes. The mini-relapse I suffered is now a thing of the past, even though I will keep the lessons I learned fresh in my mind. In a way, I'm glad it happened because now I can focus on the coming months and what I want to achieve in that time, instead of being distracted by thoughts of using.

I'm going to be sore tomorrow, but it's a good sore and one I can deal with easily.

© Copyright 2023 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053471-Theres-Just-Something-About-A-New-Pair-Of-Shoes