*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053559-August-2-2023
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #2299971
My journal about my conversion to Judaism.
#1053559 added August 2, 2023 at 10:43pm
Restrictions: None
August 2, 2023
Today is the 15th of Av in the Jewish religious calendar known as the holiday Tu B'Av. Today is the equivalent of Valentine's Day in the United States. The story goes that a woman was gang raped by a group of men from the tribe of Benjamin killing her. Her husband was so distraught that he chopped up her body and sent pieces to all the tribes of Israel to show what the men had done to his beloved wife. The tribes expected swift justice to the men who brutally raped and killed the woman. They did not get what it and the first civil war between the tribes of Israel ensued. Tens of thousands of people died as a result. A truce was made between the tribes, but as punishment, no woman from any tribe was permitted to marry a man from the tribe of Benjamin. These rules were lifted on Tu B'Av.

This day soon became a day that young women would dress in white and go dancing in the field, and match makers would make matches for them. Though match makers still exist, most people now rely on the greatest matchmaker of them all, God. Tu B'Av is now the modern day Valentie's Day where people express their love for one another, young people get engaged, and love fills the air. They go out dancing and looking for love. Those that don't go out, have dance parties at home.

There are other significant events that happened on this day as well, but it is best known as a day of love with a full moon.

No one would accuse me of being you, and I am not in love (or even dating). I think it is okay for me to sit this holiday out this year. Well, except for the dancing part. I will be home dancing, like I always do, but by myself.

© Copyright 2023 Jeanette (UN: babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeanette has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053559-August-2-2023