*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054212-Small-Change-Huge-Gain
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
#1054212 added August 17, 2023 at 7:25am
Restrictions: None
Small Change Huge Gain
Making small changes can make a huge difference.

Today I did the double. The difference came when after weights, instead of taking the same route on my ride as I have done for years, I went a different way. I live on top of a ridge, and normally I head down the hill before heading back up the other side...on repeat. Let's call it the lumpy circuit because I am either pedalling hard uphill or coasting down the other side.

So today, instead of taking the lumpy route, I took the smooth route. I skimmed along the top of the ridge, avoiding the steep ups and downs on my left and instead, tracked to the right. Now, in my mind, the latter must be the easier way because of the lack of hard uphill riding. But in saying this, the smooth route requires more continuous pedalling.

And the results are in...I am sore in my legs...more than I have been in a while. Perhaps the answer is to rotate the way I go on a more regular basis.

Earlier in the day, I called an organisation called Meals on Wheels (I actually got out of bed earlier than I normally do) to see if they require volunteer drivers to deliver meals to the elderly and disabled, who are still living in their own homes. Their office is just around the corner from me and I was asked to come straight in to fill out all the required paperwork. Once my police check comes back, I will be volunteering my time once a week on Fridays, and filling in as required on other days.

After the interview, I visited the old folks home where my Mom was a resident before she passed. I spent around an hour talking to some familiar faces. From now on, I'll be going back once a week just to hang out. I know it's going to make a difference, not just to their lives, but to mine as well.

© Copyright 2023 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054212-Small-Change-Huge-Gain