*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054271-Breaking-Habits
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1054271 added August 18, 2023 at 10:45am
Restrictions: None
Breaking Habits
Blog City Prompt: Have you ever tried to break a habit and failed? What made it so difficult to break?

--------------

Yes, of course, and I am still on it. One is negative self-talk, but I have been getting much better at catching myself when I begin, "Here I go again..." or "I hate that I did..." Ever since I noticed what I was doing to myself, I've been working at it by finding something positive I did or thought about the subject or the incident. This habit has gotten much better, although not completely erased.

The other is, when something unsavory or tough to deal with happens, I get all panicky and jump at it wanting to solve that problem immediately. With that one, I have questionable success. I keep reminding myself to keep calm and let time deal at least with a part of with it, but then, it keeps bugging my mind and ruining the other areas in my life. I just can't help my jumpiness and wanting to solve the problem right there and then. Still, I am trying. When I really think about it, I find out at least a part of the habits I can't break have their basis in learned behavior, either from parents or life experiences.

This may be because habits are powerful routines we get into for one reason or another and they are psychologically challenging to overcome. Yes, there are also physical habits that are difficult to overcome such as overeating or smoking, but they, too, have a psychological basis. Luckily, I don't smoke or overeat.

With some people procrastination may also become a habit, but that never applied to me if you look at my first paragraph in this entry.

Those who know say, in order to break a habit, we need to identify the triggers and replace that habit with a positive habit. Easy to say! I think, however, gradual reduction and rewarding oneself with positive reinforcement would help. Some people ask for the help of their family and friends, that is getting their assistance in warning them when the habit may surface and giving encouragement along the way. Some people also seek professional help or mindfulness and meditation.

Possibly, persistence and patience with a healthy dose of self-analysis would help most of us to break any habit. This is because, in most cases, underlying factors drive our unwanted habits and thus, in accordance with any certain habit, a specific strategy that works is needed.


.


© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054271-Breaking-Habits