*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054488-Books
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1054488 added August 23, 2023 at 1:27pm
Restrictions: None
Books
Prompt: What book are you reading this month?

--------------------

All my life I have been into books. I started reading at age four and haven't stopped since. They have been integral to my personal growth and entertainment.

At the moment, I am reading several books on different devices. I usually start another new book when I am finished with a book on that device. It seems, at this time, I have accidentally and unknowingly chosen books that are more or less about the same period in history. This is, except for the short print hard-cover non-fiction book by Ursula Le Guin Conversations on Writing, which I am about to finish.

On my Kindle app on the computer, I'm reading The Color of Air by Gail Tsukiyama. I'm in the beginning yet, so I don't know what will happen, but so far, it seems to be about a young native doctor who is returning to Hawaii during the pre World War II years. According to Amazon, there will be a volcano eruption, but I'm not there yet.

On my Kindle White E-Reader, I have The Parisian Dancer, by Doron Darmon, which is a WWII Historical Novel based on a true story. This one got a whole lot of raving reviews, but I'm only in the beginning pages with this book, too. I am now reading her childhood-teen years and the friends she had, one of whom is missing possibly due to some Nazi atrocity.

On my pad, I'm reading Surviving My Mother by Debbie Matzkin, a memoir of a poor little rich girl, it seems. I just started it last night, so I don't know what she is going to say. There was a movie by the same name and the same image that is on the book cover, but I'm not into movies anymore, thankfully. I'll be glad to be reading this book; although at this point, Color of Air is getting more of my attention, but I can't sit at the computer for very long. So it, too, will have to bide its time.

I so like books because in addition to preserving our general culture, they allow me to see things at a deeper level plus adding an emotional enrichment to my life and spirit. Then, books that capture the thoughts, beliefs, actions, and stories of individuals and different eras, and also, our own time are especially the preferred ones for me.

There was an excellent book club in the local library that I belonged to, but with Covid, the group took a year and a half long break and then, it dissolved totally, due to some members dying and others moving away. After what happened to that group, I am not too keen about being a member of any other reading group. Still, I'm never doing away with my actual book reading whether there is a group or not.


.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054488-Books