*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054701-Carbon-Fibre-vs-AluminiumThe-Battle-of-the-Bike-Frames
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
#1054701 added August 27, 2023 at 6:40am
Restrictions: None
Carbon Fibre vs Aluminium...The Battle of the Bike Frames
I ride my bicycle every day. It can be hazardous out there, but in general, if I concentrate and don't let my mind wander, it's pretty safe. In any case, for me, the benefits far outweigh the dangers. Riding is something I truly enjoy, and the fact that I've been riding bikes since childhood, I'll keep on riding until the day I can no longer mount the seat.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I'd had an accident whilst out riding. I wasn't focused on the road ahead and ran into the back of a parked car. I thought it was time to get the bike checked over, so I booked it into my local bike shop for a service. And the news wasn't good. Unfortunately, when I had the accident, it cracked the frame down near the rear wheel, and because it's made from composite materials, the expense of getting it repaired is more than the bike is worth.

Carbon fibre is light and strong, but it's also quite brittle. Because it is so light, it makes great bike frames...so long as you don't throw the bike down the road, like I did. Polymer materials are strong longitudinally (pulling them apart), but if for example, a bike frame takes a hit from the side... laterally, then not so much. The bottom line is my bike is a write-off and is now only good for spare parts.

I bought the bike six or seven years ago, which isn't a bad run considering how much it gets ridden. I have no one to blame but myself for the accident, so rather than get upset or angry at the news, I did what I needed to do and bought myself a brand-new bike (how awful...LOL). It's silver and black and shiny, and that first scratch is going to hurt a lot. I didn't want a frame made of carbon fibre, it's too expensive and way too brittle. So, this time I chose a bike with a frame made of aluminium (with carbon forks and seat post). It weighs a little more than my old bike, but it's negligible. The advantage is next time I hit the road (in a bad way), the frame shouldn't crack like it did on my old bike.

I took it out for its first spin today. The running gear is smooth and the set-up feels right. I'm a Google Local Guide (level 6) and have been writing reviews on local businesses for the last seven years. I don't usually tell (unless it's a restaurant or I'm looking for a discount) them so that I get a realistic idea of the service they provide. But, I have to admit in some instances, I will mention it, especially in situations like today. It's hard to know if that was the reason the sales guy gave me a good deal (they have a high mark-up on retail anyway, to allow for a discount so that we THINK we are getting a great deal), or if I would have got it anyway...but in any case, I'm a pretty happy camper today.

© Copyright 2023 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054701-Carbon-Fibre-vs-AluminiumThe-Battle-of-the-Bike-Frames