*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055036-Inconsiderate-Backroads-Litterers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#1055036 added September 2, 2023 at 5:53pm
Restrictions: None
Inconsiderate Backroads Litterers
SEPTEMBER 2nd 23 Blog Week Birthday Bastion Prompt: The world is in turmoil. It's hard to be optimistic. Choose one crisis that bothers you and think about possible solutions or ways to deal with it.
         What bothers me? A pet peeve is the thoughtless, careless, don't-give-a-damn tossing of garbage along country roads. What about a scenic thoroughfare attracts litterers? Do the green, flourishing trees, abundant wildflowers and thick shrubbery scream to be affronted/defiled by refuse?
         There's nothing as jarring as glass bottles, plastic jugs, plastic bags,tin cans, cardboard,rubber vehicle tires, plastic containers of various sizes, soiled diapers and more heaped in a ditch, or snagged in the roots of trees. Yes, the outdoors isn't always a neat and tidy place. Broken branches, decaying leaves, dirt, rocks , and the like do exist. They serve a fundamental purpose and support an eco system. What does manmade garbage benefit?
         All communities have garbage pick-up and designated garbage sites. Many initiated recycling schemes that require but a wee bit of time for sorting to be successful. Glass, plastic, tin and paper products need not end up amongst other disposables. Discarded fruit, vegetable and garden clippings become compost. All of this need only require a commitment to care about the environment.
         I do not understand the not-in-my- backyard out-of-sight-out-of-mind mentality of litterers. They clearly wish to get rid of their garbage, but they do not feel at all compelled to do so responsibly. Meh, if it's tossed into a ditch it is no longer my problem. Do they only consider something on the spur of the moment? Is an out of the way roadside convenient? Are they avoiding witnesses ?
         Wonderful initiatives do exist. Service clubs organize clean-ups along highways and major roads. It is beyond shameful that a few care enough to tidy up after so many.
         Those observing dumping should feel compelled to report it and feel sure it will be acknowledged with hefty monetary fines.
         Could there be more signage with slogans? Don't dump chump. Stop, and consider. Your garbage is litter. Would you like this mess in your nest?
         When I was a child, I could purchase a glass bottle of soda and return the empty bottle to the store in exchange for money which I then spent on candy. I had an incentive to recycle. That has not existed for years where I live. Beer stores accept empty bottles and cans which earn a bit of a cash return for imbibers, but other similar containers do not warrant such a program. Why not? Perhaps the promise of some money might prove to be advantageous.
          I hold no illusions that littering will be completely eradicated. The lazy, inconsiderate walk amongst us. I will continue to carry a bag with me during my walk-abouts and retrieve the garbage I discover. It's the least I can do since it's my pet peeve.

© Copyright 2023 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055036-Inconsiderate-Backroads-Litterers