*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055214-Walking-Down-the-Street-Naked
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#1055214 added September 5, 2023 at 3:42pm
Restrictions: None
Walking Down the Street Naked?
Blog Week Birthday Bastion September 5th, 2023 Prompt: React to a video in which writer Neil Gaiman speaks about the craft of writing.
         Okay, I viewed the suggested video in which writer Neil Gaiman speaks re his efforts to create. I suppose I will concede that he knows of what he writes and he undoubtedly has experience. I found him to be credible and sensible.
         "All fiction needs to be as honest as you can."
         I agree with his statement. Most of my writing attempts hinge upon real people who are characters in their own unique ways and actual, bonafide events. Some may not involve my family although most stories do include them. Sometimes I draw upon people I've witnessed, spied upon, studied 'cause I confess to enjoying people-watching. It's a fascinating past time. I remember snippets of conversations I either hear, or am involved with. A certain turn of phrase, or a different word piques my interest. Speech patterns speak to me.
         I find it refreshing that Neil, if I may be so bold as to address him as such, admits that he struggled with writing and he had to not only persevere, but learn how to write. He took a proactive approach and decided to become a journalist in order to meet people and ask questions. He respected that he needed to study his subjects for story ideas.
         Neil came to understand that writers read as craftspeople . They consider words, their nuances, their utility, their ability to weave a tale.
         What writer doesn't like to play with words? There are so many choices and possible combinations.
         Gaiman explains that he needed something to say. Yes, we all need to discover our own unique voice. He further admits that he did not want to be judged. I will always recall his analogy for this vulnerability. To be a writer you have to do/be the equivalent of walking down a street naked. To write is to expose yourself.
         So, to call yourself a writer you must be willing to become an exhibitionist, a flasher. Put yourself and your writing out there into the world. Open up and permit others to read your efforts.
         Now if I were to follow the advice about strolling along au naturel I would expect to become the subject of a horror story.

© Copyright 2023 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055214-Walking-Down-the-Street-Naked